NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 limited data

david_taurus83

I'm not exactly happy with this. Its a long way short of the 20 odd hours i had originally planned! I managed a measly 2.5 hours of OSC subs over 2 sessions back in September and October. The second session was taken from the Bromsgrove Astro star party under a cracking dark sky at Ledbury but I started imaging way too late as I was observing before this. I could have gathered a good 5 hours worth there but the mount was giving me jipp with guiding. I also managed 2 hours of Ha subs the night after the star party and I've combined those into the below image using the NBRGBCombination script in Pixinsight. I've only managed 1 deep sky session since early October and that was only to try out the new mono camera! The weather has truly conspired against us all the last 3 months. It wont be long until the evenings are getting brighter again!!

31 x 300s subs 600D on WO GT71

13 x 600s subs 600D, 12nm Ha filter, WO GT71

Its kind of a half hearted attempt at processing in Pixinsight. I could tell early on I wasnt going to get the result I wanted out of the data so I skipped a few steps in processing. To be fair, its not too bad. Much better than anything I could do before. Felt the need to put on here so I have 'closure' on this as its annoyed me immensely at not being able to finish gathering more data!!!

M31 HaRGB Sep-Oct 2018.jpg

Hi David

I'm somewhat unfamiliar with dslr OSC although I used to image with a QHY8 OSC.

I may have missed something but the image looks excessively red compared to all other I've seen - is there a peculiarity to the 600d when mixing the Ha that does this?

Otherwise I'm thinking the Pixinsight script might need more attention?

I'll be interested to see how this image evolves.

David

No your correct. It is more red than usual. I ran the script and it produced an image. I then played with Pixelmath and tried to blend the RGB to the NBRGB. Its probably a result of my own bodging! The RGB just doesnt have enough data to bring out the lovely colours the galaxy can produce. Will try a mono RGB version in the future. Using the current weather patterns I predict a finished project sometime around 2027 ?

As this is OSC has it got something to do with the colour method select when processing - I seem to remember a choice between many combinations such as GBRG etc.

I haven't processed OSC in PI but you might have a look at this setting?

David

Archived