PHD2, ZWOASI120mm Mini and general setup qestions

Danjc

I have decided that I want to use guiding straight away when the scope comes and will utilise the provided 9x50 finder with a ZWOASI120MM Mini. 

I want to get as much in place and understand as much as I can before the ZWO arrives so have read the following....

https://astrocookbook.com/2018/08/19/my-guide-to-auto-guiding-part-1-configuring-phd2/

At this stage there's not to much I can do but research and download the required software so have downloaded PHD2 and will connect the mount to the ZWO via a ST4 cable.

Is there any more Software I would need to get things up and running ?

I was going to ask if using ASCOM & EQMOD was preferable to an ST4 cable but read it was pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. 

I take it pulse guiding is a lot better ? and I guess having EQMOD means I can leave the handset alone and control all via the laptop.

4 minutes ago, Danjc said:

I was going to ask if using ASCOM & EQMOD was preferable to an ST4 cable but read it was pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. 

I take it pulse guiding is a lot better ? and I guess having EQMOD means I can leave the handset alone and control all via the laptop.

I have never used ST4 only ascom pulse guiding.  It works ok for me. I think the vast majority use ASCOM for guiding so you will find help more readily available. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I would suggest not using ST4, and use pulse guiding. This means having to connect the mount to the pc either via the habset or EQMOD cable. 

Pulse guiding works well, but why do you advise against ST4?

I've used ST4 and EQMOD together and they work fine.  Is there an issue with PHD?

8 hours ago, don4l said:

Pulse guiding works well, but why do you advise against ST4?

I've used ST4 and EQMOD together and they work fine.  Is there an issue with PHD?

Yes Donal, my reason being that the vast majority use Ascom and therefore help is more readily available. 

If you intend to use PEC (periodic error correction) via EQMOD you should use ASCOM pulse guiding (otherwise PEC & ST4 fight against each other)... if not using PEC, there's no real discernible performance difference between the two.

Most using EQMOD lean towards pulse guiding, whereas most handset pilots I come across tend to be using ST4.

Cheers all for all your help, I have ordered the relevant cable (and many more things) and will go down the ASCOM & EQMOD route. 

Plus I can control all via the laptop then and just use the handset when I want to do a spot of visual with my daughter. 

Archived