Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Life just keeps getting a little easier

beamish

Finally read up and sorted out Windows XP Remote desktop this afternoon- :D:help::lol::laugh::D :D :D

What a fantastic bit of kit !!! Warm room control and wireless to boot , what more could a naive astronomer/astrophotographer/computer user, fair weather observer want ???

Sooooo easy !

:wave: :D

Karlo

Yup, I agree, set the system running in the observatory come inside and monitor what is going on in comfort on another PC - I still have to rush out every 10 minutes or so to rotate the dome a little

Can you get electic dome motors that connect to the scope interface to allow it to turn with the scope?

Yes, you can but there isn't a drive mechanism for the actual dome that I have. I have been in the midst of designing one for some time and have what I believe to be a workable plan but not had the chance to start construction yet but Subaru Impreza cam belts, 555 IC Chips and battery powered screwdrivers feature heavily in the design!

I just like being there with it keeping it all company.. it makes up for not actually looking through the EP...whatever one of those is... :D

Billy...

I miss looking through the eyepiece actually, I always take my binos out with me when I'm imaging, just so I feel like a 'real' astronomer. Pathetic I know.

I tend to stay near the gear when I'm imaging, and built a warm room next to the observatory. I often set up my Helios ST120 in the garden and do a fair bit of star hopping during long imaging runs.

If I was to build the obs again, I would make it larger and have a big dob in there too.

Cheers

Rob

The one thing i miss is the ultra widefield unaided eye views of the sky as i only catch the odd meteor that crosses the dome aperture now...

For me it's imaging or unaided eyes or perhaps the 22x100s on the parallel mount as an EP on the scopes does do it for me.... sad i know....i have the greatest respect for those people who choose to spend time lookign through an EP and I am in awe of the sketchers

Billy...

I don't disagree with anything that's being said about the positive benefits of "being out there", but when you've just got a pier and the demands of young children calling you back inside etc, it's good to know that one can get on with stuff and still monitor what's going on.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience of Kielder this yr purely and simply for the joy of looking thru an EP again, something that A/photography has caused me to neglect :D

I have a wireless Infra Red camera in my Obsy. Every odd noise that wakes me up, I switch the bedside Telly on, turn to AV1, and I can check that everything is OK. Doesn't amuse the wife much though, she advises me to put a bed in there. I might do that when the Control annexe is finished. :mrgreen:

Ron.

Archived