NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to buy to start with planetary and deep sky imaging

Snoopy71

Hi All

Great to be a new member on these forums :)

I am looking to purchase a telescope to use for both planetary and DSO imaging and could really do with some advice. 

I may also use the telescope for some visual astronomy. My budget is around £1200 total for scope and mount and can add 

more kit over time. I'm not sure at the moment which telescope type to go for. I have some previous visual astronomy experience

with a Meade ETX 125 around 20 years ago but have never tried astrophotography.  

I would very much appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks 

A.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Truth is, there is no one telescope to do it all.

For planetary imaging you want a long focal length and high magnification (the 'lucky imaging' approach gets round fluctuations in seeing). For DSO imaging, you want a small focal ratio and long exposures mean the mount (good tracking) becomes far more important.

If you are aiming for DSO imaging, getting this book would be a good start. It will save you time, money and heartache in the long run.

Enjoy the journey.

I can advise you about starting planetary imaging, but the requirements for deep sky imaging seem to be totally different so you should not expect one outfit to do both tasks well.  I had some success with planetary imaging using a C8 (also a good visual scope but far from ideal for deep sky imaging) a 6/8 SE mount (usable for planetary imaging and visual but useless for deep space astrophotography), a ASI120MC planetary camera and an atmospheric dispersion corrector.

If you aspire to doing both, you need to think in terms of a very sturdy equatorial GoTo mount (which to be frank will probably consume much of your £1200 budget) and two telescopes. And a collection of expensive accessories.  SCTs (which are not cheap) are the preferred instrument for planetary imaging - they have a number of practical advantages over Newtonians.

10 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I can advise you about starting planetary imaging, but the requirements for deep sky imaging seem to be totally different so you should not expect one outfit to do both tasks well.  I had some success with planetary imaging using a C8 (also a good visual scope but far from ideal for deep sky imaging) a 6/8 SE mount (usable for planetary imaging and visual but useless for deep space astrophotography), a ASI120MC planetary camera and an atmospheric dispersion corrector.

If you aspire to doing both, you need to think in terms of a very sturdy equatorial GoTo mount (which to be frank will probably consume much of your £1200 budget) and two telescopes. And a collection of expensive accessories.  SCTs (which are not cheap) are the preferred instrument for planetary imaging - they have a number of practical advantages over Newtonians.

Thats probably why most of us have more than one scope.......thats what i have been telling the wife for years.lol

I'm an all-DSO guy myself, so here's the advice from the Other Side.

+1 on going spendy on the mount first off. Since DSOs require extended exposure times, you simply cannot get around the need for a stable mount. The finest optics on a wobbly mount will disappoint. OK optics on a great mount will amaze.

The classic advice for DSOs, found in books like MEPC and The Deep-Sky Imaging Primer, is to go with a wide-field, fast refractor of around 80mm. That obviates many issues while delivering good results. Astro imaging and processing is much harder than it seems, and when you start you do well to eliminate as many knee-knockers as possible. Classic error is to go for too much aperture (and thus too much focal length) and get frustrated with inability to get anything decent out of it.

For deep sky, refractors are great as they don't need to be collimated and are really light allowing most mounts to handle it. Also, Tracking, polar alignment and autoguiding will make you frustrated as a beginner if you get an SCT for dso imaging. When I just got in the hobby my 400 mm refractor almost made me cry, I don't want to imagine what it would be like if I have an SCT

Archived