Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Issues using SGP and Cartes Du Ciel for the first time

Tom OD

Hi Again,

It hasn't taken long to get stuck again with my remote set up.

I still dont know if I can move the scope, mainly due to A) I cant see it in the dark as i m only use a regular webcam and not a proper low level light cam.

And B, because I dont want to try a Slew at the moment.

Can anyone give me to pointers on how SGP and CDC talk to each other. I have not set a Target, I m just trying to do a simple move of the mount.

I have SGP connected to all my devices. I can plate solve, if I do it with Blind Plate Solve. However the Scope Centering tab still thinks the scope is in a completely different part of the sky. After plate solving it does not update the co-ords.

CDC and SGP both have the same Co-ords. I dont know whether SGP calls on CDC, or vice versa. When I try to Sync on a star very close to where the scope is actually pointing, which is close to Polaris, I get an "Init" field. It talks about whether the scope is East or West. Its North though Counter Weights North that is.

As this is my first time using SGP and the Sitech / Mesu, am I supposed to set up Init?

I can connect to the scope in CDC, but it wont start Tracking It stays red.

How do I get the Plate Solve successful results to Update the Scope co-ord so it knows where it is?

Do I need to open CDC before using Plate Solve in SGP, or should SGP open or talk to CDC itself?

The Sitech.exe opens too when I was trying things. Is this normal. I can t remember if it opened when I was using SGP or CCDC though. It still say Faking Servos which makes me think that it cant see the motor encoder values. But I fixed that, by getting the reset switch on, and then selecting Comm Port in the Sitech Config. This populated the values, and cleared the Address error that I had.

Some screenshots attached to show what I m seeing.

Thanks in advance Tom.

IMG_6589.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6591.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG

IMG_6594.JPG

25 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

When I try to Sync on a star very close to where the scope is actually pointing, which is close to Polaris, I get an "Init" field. It talks about whether the scope is East or West.

You should never try to plate solve near the meridian - this is courting disaster and is why you are getting an issue of whether you are in the East or the West!

I have a suggested workflow for getting this E/W conflict resolved but a slew towards the East or the West will be required for it to work - I'll look it out for you.

Steve's document is looking very good.

SiTech.exe needs to be open while you are using the mount and you can either open it before connecting from within SGP or let it open automatically when you connect from within SGP. I read somewhere that it is better to open it manually before connecting from SGP - don't know why, but that's now what I do!

I have had all sorts of issues when initially trying to get the mount to know where it is. The best thing is to slew the mount manually to a point in the East and then do a blind solve from within SGP. When it has done the solve, make sure you select an Offset Init (not a Cal Star). It will then know where it is. I seem to remember that I just clicked 'Start' in SiTech.exe rather than 'UnPark' and it goes into Blind Tracking mode, waiting for you to do a sync.

Once you have successfully done the sync from within SGP, you can open CdC and connect to the mount, then click on a target in CdC and slew to it.

Good luck, always a challenge trying to get this all set up...

I don't think that SGP and CDC ever 'talk' to each other. They just get information from the mount as to where the mount believes it is pointing. They can both issue commands to the mount to slew or sync  (preferably not at the same time or an argument may ensue). I normally start SGP and CDC, connect them both to the mount and then 'slew' and 'centre' the target in SGP. This will plate solve and then 'sync' the mount and CDC will show the correct mount position. You can then issue slew commands from either program as needed and everything should keep in step.

Alan

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

Steve's document is looking very good.

SiTech.exe needs to be open while you are using the mount and you can either open it before connecting from within SGP or let it open automatically when you connect from within SGP. I read somewhere that it is better to open it manually before connecting from SGP - don't know why, but that's now what I do!

I have had all sorts of issues when initially trying to get the mount to know where it is. The best thing is to slew the mount manually to a point in the East and then do a blind solve from within SGP. When it has done the solve, make sure you select an Offset Init (not a Cal Star). It will then know where it is. I seem to remember that I just clicked 'Start' in SiTech.exe rather than 'UnPark' and it goes into Blind Tracking mode, waiting for you to do a sync.

Once you have successfully done the sync from within SGP, you can open CdC and connect to the mount, then click on a target in CdC and slew to it.

Good luck, always a challenge trying to get this all set up...

Yes I was mixing up how I thought it worked into a confusing mish mash there. I'll follow Steves steps and update the post on how I get on. My brain is starting to get overloaded from all the manuals I ve been reading.

Mind you this seems very much like how I used to manually align the scope, so I 'll get the hang of it yet.

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

I don't think that SGP and CDC ever 'talk' to each other. They just get information from the mount as to where the mount believes it is pointing. They can both issue commands to the mount to slew or sync  (preferably not at the same time or an argument may ensue). I normally start SGP and CDC, connect them both to the mount and then 'slew' and 'centre' the target in SGP. This will plate solve and then 'sync' the mount and CDC will show the correct mount position. You can then issue slew commands from either program as needed and everything should keep in step.

Alan

This will be good as a guide once I get the mount to Sync. Thanks Alan.

Archived