Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet 46P Wirtanen - single frame

I was beginning to wonder if I would ever observe or capture an image of this object as the cloud gods have not been kind recently but I managed to do both on 13th December. No prize-winner as it is only a single unguided 30 second luminance exposure. Nice to have as a memento of the event though especially as I had to install the latest version of Cartes du Ciel and the comet ephemerides to get near it and even then, the position was incorrectly marked so I had to search for it - although in truth, this is all part of the fun! Image binned 4x4 with my QSI 683 WSG and Esprit 150 ED Pro.

Comet 46P Wirtanen

Comet_46P_Wirtanen_131218_stretch.png.29606d0a86da9b15041c06ac2680a41b.png

Comet location at capture time

CCD_Image_49_Annotated_stretch.png.feb678e64f373b6a738fcdb006e92b75.png

Congratulations Steve, you managed to get something! Pretty decent pic too. What field of view does your system give? Amazing to think that this 1km lump is producing a coma of about 50 arcmin. Calculations make that about 165,000km or 13 Earth diameters of coma!! I look forward to the meteor shower generated by the Earth passing through all the crud that 46P leaves behind!!

44 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

What field of view does your system give? Amazing to think that this 1km lump is producing a coma of about 50 arcmin.

The field of view of this combo. is 57'5' x 43.4'. Comets are indeed amazing objects, it is no wonder that mankind/womankind has marvelled at them over the ages! I still remember the thrill of capturing comet 17P Holmes in December of 2007 when its halo went berserk totally unexpectedly!

Archived