Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

California nebula.

Stu Wilson

1 hour ago, wxsatuser said:

The whole thing only just fits on an APS-C at 135mm. ?

Most newbies capture the bright central bit which is not to bad and shows decent structure.

If Stu has any LP the capture will be harder and as suggested an LP filter may help.

The elongated stars look like a touch of coma.

Yeah I definitely keep a L.P filter. Serious orange pollution in my area.

After Xmas I'll commit to purchasing one.

Coma corrector is needed too.

?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

The whole thing only just fits on an APS-C at 135mm. ?

Yes, it's huge. Here's the OP's image superimposed onto a widefield which, itself, doesn't quite capture the whole lot.

Combine1.thumb.jpg.3bb6e9cba4dfbe6987dbecf997a6b5b4.jpg

Stu, I don't know if you model your imaging projects on a planetarium before deciding on whether to go for them or not but it can be a big help to do so. I do it in SkyMap Pro but other planetaria let you do it. You have to set your your focal length and chip size first then you can drop them onto the chart to see how they frame up.

Olly

On 11/12/2018 at 12:36, alacant said:

Hi. Yes, definitely. Here is 2 1/2 hours with a dslr and a cls filter. We took flat frames and dithered between frames. That along with the cls may just bump start it. Good luck and never give up!

modded dslr? that is a superb image. 700D is a great dslr. i had one for my first camera before i sold it to my old man.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Yes, it's huge. Here's the OP's image superimposed onto a widefield which, itself, doesn't quite capture the whole lot.

Stu, I don't know if you model your imaging projects on a planetarium before deciding on whether to go for them or not but it can be a big help to do so. I do it in SkyMap Pro but other planetaria let you do it. You have to set your your focal length and chip size first then you can drop them onto the chart to see how they frame up.

Olly

Cheers olly ill look at that. Suddenly making sense.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

I love it!

Archived