Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

California nebula.

Stu Wilson

Is it worth carrying on collecting data?

I know we need hours and hours of data to achieve something good but this is 2 hours of data on the California Nebula and this is all I can get out of it.

Granted seeing wasn't the best but hey ho, thought that 2 hours data would come to something more.

Its stretched to the hilt and curves all over the place to see this much in Photoshop.

Maybe 1 of those objects that needs ALOT of data, Im not sure?????

californiaperhaps.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stu.

Is this from a dslr? Sorry - I am sure I should remember what equipment you use but my brain cells aren't what they used to be. If it is dslr rgb data then I had a very similar experience. It wasn't until I got a load of Ha data to add to the rgb that I started to get something I felt happy with.

Adrian

I think a CLS filter or something similar will help a great deal. Looks like the focus is off a bit; better focus will give you more detail. And finally the field illumination isn't very even, did you use flat frames? Better flats will allow you to separate the nebula from the background a bit more; there's certainly a bit more to be pulled out from the data you already have.

Increasing the data 10 fold isn't going to suddenly bring out a lot more detail.

On 10/12/2018 at 23:30, Stu Wilson said:

2 hours of data

Hi again. JTOL... 

2 hours should have got you better data than that I feel. I wonder f you could help us to help you by telling us e.g. what camera  equipment and software you used. Other info such as length of light frames used, if you used flat frames etc. may also help. Otherwise we're guessing...

Cheers

55 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Are you using some sort of field flattener ? only ask because you appear to have stars radiating out at the corners a classic sign of incorrect flattener to sensor spacing.

Dave

No flattener. That's the problem there ?

budget ran out for a little while.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi again. JTOL... 

2 hours should have got you better data than that I feel. I wonder f you could help us to help you by telling us e.g. what camera  equipment and software you used. Other info such as length of light frames used, if you used flat frames etc. may also help. Otherwise we're guessing...

Cheers

Sw200p

Qhy8l camera

Orion Starshoot auto guider

Flats darks bias

?

47 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

Sw200p

Looks good but you're only gonna get a small part of the nebula. Even at 650mm focal length I couldn't get anywhere near the whole nebula. Maybe the part you have chosen contains little or no structure (?). Do you have anything shorter? E.g. a 300mm lens may work better for this target.

If you like, we could have a go with your 2 hour shot to see if maybe a different approach to processing may help. You could post a link to the data.

HTH

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Looks good but you're only gonna get a small part of the nebula. Even at 650mm focal length I couldn't get anywhere near the whole nebula. Maybe the part you have chosen contains little or no structure (?). Do you have anything shorter? E.g. a 300mm lens may work better for this target.

If you like, we could have a go with your 2 hour shot to see if maybe a different approach to processing may help. You could post a link to the data.

HTH

I'll post it later for you. 

Laptop busy capturing horsehead as it's just shown itself from behind neighbours house ?

10 hours ago, alacant said:

HTH

The whole thing only just fits on an APS-C at 135mm. ?

Most newbies capture the bright central bit which is not to bad and shows decent structure.

If Stu has any LP the capture will be harder and as suggested an LP filter may help.

The elongated stars look like a touch of coma.

Archived