Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Guide package for use with the Star Adventurer?

Leon-Fleet

I am looking for some recommendations for which guide package to get to go with my DSLR and SA. 

I don't mind going budget on this one (actually prefer it) and upgrading in the future. 

Its has been suggested that a webcam and cheap finder scope would also work but I don't  know where to start with this either . 

There are so many different combinations and options out there it's got my head all confused! 

I've seen this combo being used before and they look great but unfortunately new they are above budget. WO 50mm Guidescope - ZWO ASI290MM Mini

I'd love to pick up a package on the SH market; if you know where I can look or know one's going please let me know. 

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. 

thanks 

Leon 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 16:38, Maxrayne said:

What about something like this?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-finder-and-guider-scope.html

Together with maybe:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi120mc-s-usb-3-colour-camera.html

Nice and lightweight and the finderscope seems fast enough at f/4

I missed your reply  Maxrayne - I ended up going with the QHY5-II MONO and a 50mm-Mini-Guidescope. 

Still working out how to get PHD2 working! 

21 minutes ago, Leon-Fleet said:

I missed your reply  Maxrayne - I ended up going with the QHY5-II MONO and a 50mm-Mini-Guidescope. 

Still working out how to get PHD2 working! 

Remember that you can only guide in RA so your PA has to be spot on. Make sure your qhy is set to 8-bit mode so it can use the ST4 interface. Set 'on-camera' as mount in PHD2. It won't be able to calibrate properly since no movement in DEC but you have to ignore that. Once 'calibrated' you can use the guide scope to drift align.

Louise

1 hour ago, Leon-Fleet said:

Thanks Louise, I hadn't heard of the 8bit mode so will definitely check that out. The rest I was aware of just need to put it into practice. 

I'm not sure if it applies to the qhy5-ii as it does to the qhy5l-ii mono that I have but you'll soon find out. Good luck!

Louise

Archived