Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

California with small scope

Trevor N

Very nice, especially considering you only have an hour of total exposure time. You caught quite a bit of structure in it, which is not that easy with just RGB. Ha would reveal more detail. You could consider investing in a clip-on Ha filter (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomik-filters/astronomik-h-alpha-12nm-narrowband-ccd-filter.html) which I found works quite well with a DSLR on bright Ha objects like this one. On my Astrobin page (link below) you can see my attempts on the California nebula using a Canon 60D and mixing RGB with Ha imaging. If you have another go at it I suggest that you turn the camera 90° to catch more of the nebula.

Thanks for the comment and suggestions. I thought the same when the first few imnages came down but I could see on the weather satellite info that clouds were on the way ! Torn between getting what I could or taking my time to reposition the camera. Another go tonight is on the cards I hope.

Archived