Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 72ed or the 80ed

Hi guys have not posted for a while, im looking to add an evostar ed pro to my collection. can anyone advise on these 2 scopes, as in difference of quality between them? obviously there is a difference in aperture and focal length, so just wondering peoples thoughts on them. i would be using for both imaging and visual. also as i have the explorer 130p-ds would the Ed pro series be better than the explorer?.

I have the Astro Tech 72ED and really like it for wide visual work.  However, it comes with FPL-51 glass and the newer version 2 comes with FPL-53 glass for a cleaner image at high powers.  I doubt it would be visible at lower powers or photographically, though.  The Euro equivalent is the TS-Optics Photoline 72mm.  If I was buying again for visual work, I would definitly go for FPL-53 glass over FPL-51 glass for the extra $100 to $200.

As far as 72mm vs 80mm, the ~10% increase in aperture diameter isn't all that important visually at low powers.  That, and the almost 50% longer focal length of the 80 limits wide field views, so take into consideration the size of the objects you want to view and image.  Neither scope is going to excel at planetary work.  For that, I would move up to at least a 5" ED or APO or stick with reflectors.

I notice that the 80mm touts FPL-53 glass while the 72ED does not.  Given the price, I assume its FPL-51.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a rack and pinion focuser.  The smooth Crayford focuser on my 72ED slips with loads over 2 pounds at high altitude angles no matter how much I crank down the tensioner.  For photography, it depends on how heavy your imaging train is.

Thanks for the replies guys,  i wasn't aware of the different glass used in the 2 scopes, i think i will go for the 80mm. as i have the 130p-ds explorer as well and also an evostar 120mm that i like using for planets and doubles. Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 80ED pro and I am very happy with it. It is good for both visual and imaging, though you need the flattener for good imaging. Nice field of view, good optics, light weight. Mine has the crayford focuser, and it has no trouble handling my dslr with flattener, adapters and all (just remember to lock when you have focus).

I have come to appreciate the light setup of a small refractor, so in that department, the 72 would do well too. I haven't tried the 72 though.

I believe there is an old thread on here somewhere with photos taken with the 80ED pro.

Archived