SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-watcher 80 Rich Field OTA

mark RD

Although I gave had this scope for a while I have not had the chance to use it until now so here is my Review.

At first glace it is well made, It feels solid and reasonably heavy for its size. All the lenses have be coated and look to be

decent quality. Including the lenses in the finderscope.

With a focus of 400mm I was expecting some CA on bright objects such as the planets and the moon, I was not prov en wrong neither.

The moon had a colourfull halo around it but was will beautifully detailed especially along the terminator saturn also had a bit of extra colour

and the rings stood out nicely separately from the planet. Moving a Little to the right to capture the bee hive cluster, This jumped out the sky at me

showing plenty of space between the stars in this old cluster a sight really to remember.

With a Celestron 32mm at hand my next subject was the M45. once again nicely framed in its entirety, the main seven stars shone like diamonds on a dark blue Velvet background showing that the sky was not yet intirely dark.

To summarise

Don't expect a good all rounder, this little scope does what it was designed to do well and is good value for money. Not recommended as a first scope though.

Mark

Archived