Soul Nebula with more data from last night

gorann

All night between Saturday and Sunday was clear (for once) which means at least 12 hours of imaging time up here now (we are getting back what we lost this summer. However, U ended up with 8 hours due to the sum of my own clumsiness (I had somehow written down that the Soul Nebula was NGC1348, but could not find it and finally googled it and concluded it was NGC1848, which turned out to "below horizon", whereupon I checked google again and realized it was IC1848) and a Windows update that started at 4 am (when I was fast asleep). So I ended up with 50 x 10 min of Baader 7nm Ha collected with my ASI1600MMpro (gain 139, offset 50, -20°C) and Esprit 100. I then added this to about 10 hours of HaRGB DSLR data that I had collected in March (mainly with my 300 mm Canon lens and Canon 60D). It helped quite a bit on the details even if seeing and guiding was not optimal, but then I was imaging at a rather forgiving pixel scale (1.42"/pixel). So totally about 18 hours.

So for a while my strategy for moonlit nights may be to collect Ha data with my new chilled mono CMOS camera to spice up old DSLR data

Comments and suggestions welcome as always!

IMG5460-536PS5+Ha PS23(+Ha fr 20181124)PS5smallSign.jpg

5 hours ago, alan potts said:

Well apart from WOW I don't really know what to say about this image, not over egged colour wise, sharp what else could improve it apart from maybe more data. Very well done a superb piece of work.

Alan

Thank you Alan, very much appreciated!

5 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Goran….  Ha on moonlit nights sounds like a good plan!  It would be interesting to see what the effect of your new Ha was on your original image

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave!

So here is the old image, the Ha image from the weekend, and the final result again. It is mainly in the details it improved - but that is what more data do for you (in some parts of the image more han others depending on where I had Ha data in the old one). And, I made the colours a bit less aggressive.

IMG5460-536PS5+Ha PS22smallSign.jpg

20181124SoulNebAllcropPS11(decon select).jpg

IMG5460-536PS5+Ha PS23(+Ha fr 20181124)PS5smallSign.jpg

16 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Lovely, sharpens the details up nicely.  Did you use the Ha as luminance?

Dave

Yes, in this case, as I had already added Ha into the image, so Ha as lum did not turn it all pink as often is the case (although that can be fixed). It actually helped mellow the colours. But otherwise I usually blend Ha into the red channel first (in PS as "lighten" so it will only add to the image where the Ha signal is stronger than the red - as suggested by Olly  @ollypenrice) before adding it partially and selectively into lum.

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I like this one! I've always found the Soul a difficult target to make interesting but the colours and contrasts in this rendition give it strong three dimensionality and a dynamic quality.

Olly

Thanks a lot Olly, I am of course flattered that you like my rendention of the soul! I had not looked so much on other vesions of it but now when I surfed around I can see that you have a point, many of them do not show much depth.

Archived