Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Naked eye view of Venus phase?

Alfian

Early this morning, just predawn, I was out with the dogs. Skies were clear and crisp to the south west and Venus was very very bright. As I looked I thought I saw some shape to the brightness with a clear diagonal emphasis. I assumed that this was some kind of diffraction trick of the light but the more I gazed there seemed to be a definite pair of "horns". I really didn't know what phase  Venus should be showing so I checked with Stellarium and it was just as I saw. Googling as to whether such views are possible the word seems to be that in theory it is possible but unlikely. I'm pretty certain of what I saw  but eyes and brain play tricks so I'm happy for it to be a "maybe". One possible plus point is that I was wearing my new specs'! Has anyone else had this experience?

Not the first time I've heard this. It's just about feasible depending on where Venus is and its angular size. It gets up to about 1'6", and the resolving limit of the eye is in that region also, so you may well have picked it up. I've certainly noticed in the past that it sometimes does not appear "disc-like" but would not say I could discern the phase.

Billy.

4 minutes ago, billyharris72 said:

I've certainly noticed in the past that it sometimes does not appear "disc-like" but would not say I could discern the phase.

Should've gone to Specsavers! :D

Thats impressive though! ?  I haven't seen Venus since it set back in the summer, so I wouldn't know if I could do that. I must get out in the early morning again, winter stars, last quarter moon and Venus is a nice combination.

John

My eyesight is pretty poor but if the air is steady (and my glasses clean) then I can usually discern the phase of Venus, certainly at the crescent stage.  Twilight is best, it can be too dazzling in a dark sky. It requires steady air and a bit of concentration but it is not difficult.  I think a lot of people get put off actually trying because of the perceived difficulty.

About two hundred years ago, the famous lunar observer Franz de Paula Gruithuisen  (namegiver of the lunar domes structure Gr. Gamma and Delta; Lunar 100 No. 49), gifted with an extraordinary keen eyesight, was able to observe Venus' phases by naked eye, as well as to see Jupiter's four Galilean moons. In her old age, the mother of the great mathematician Gauss, as he avouches, was also still capable to spot Venus' phases without optical aids (quoted from Arno Schmidt's, the admirer of Luna, essay on Gruithuisen ("Die Kreisschlösser" in "Aus julianischen Tagen")).

Never tried this; but I will give it a go.

Stephan

Archived