SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

camera rotator decent price???

iwols

Don't think it is easy or even advanced DIY item. Maybe on "expert" level.

And it will not be cheap.

Many items can be done in DIY and they will usually cost less than retail price, but I don't believe that motorized rotator is one of those things. Main obstacle that I'm seeing is machining process and precision.

Regular mechanical rotators can have some slack when rotated because you end up securing them in place in the end, so they can't move once "bolted down" - this removes any tilt from optical train. With motorized version, it is the motor that holds assembly fixed (not rotating) and while stepper and right kind of gearing can do this - it can't provide "lateral" stability (prevent it from tilting) if parts are not machined and assembled to crazy level of precision - you need them to rotate very smoothly but have almost no play in direction of axis of rotation. And of course you need all of that to happen when you hang couple of pounds (or even couple of Kg) at one end.

Actually, it might not be that difficult - still under expert level, but I think it can be done.

Only thing that needs to be "sourced out" are bearings - and if suitable set can be found that I think its doable. Not mechanical expert (actually, yet to maybe become "novice" level :D ) but here is design that I think might work well:

image.png.2633b10a9ab221f24aedbfb67f785447.png

Worm and worm wheel can be done in machine shop, outer and inner tube also - with appropriate threads - only thing that requires precision here is fitting to bearings - it needs to be tight fit without any slack (press fit or something like that).

Belt, pulleys and stepper motor are readily available online very cheap. Selection of bearings is important of course - SKF has enormous range of dimensions and types - just tried to find my way around their website and got lost in all available options (need to read a bit on bearing types). Simple arduino board with appropriate driver can drive the motor, and ASCOM driver needs to be written - but it's not something that is complicated, and there is already plenty of projects for DIY focuser - this is almost the same thing, even a bit easier since you need to calculate number of steps for full rotation and then reset angle to 0 - and if you choose regular small nema 8 or 11 motor with 1.8 degrees step (200 steps) and worm / worm wheel assembly with certain number of teeth (it really does not need to be many) you will have sub 1 degree precision in rotation angle - more than enough I would thing. Even some backlash in worm gear will not be causing trouble - as it will be extremely small angle with this arrangement to be noticed in images.

Hi,

I've built a rotator - easy using a Takahashi CAA as the basis for my Esprit 100mm . See:

http://www.scopefocus.info/home/rotator

Arduino based, free firmware and free Ascom driver. Works perfectly in SGP. Cost me $325Aus to build. Comparable commercial unit $2.5K. Kevin the designer is a really nice helpful guy. Even designed a large ring pulley for me to 3d print.

Hope this helps

Gary

rotator.jpg

rotator 2.jpg

Archived