SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon stacking - Registax vs AutoStakkert

DanLXIX

Did my first moon stacking for a few years last night so I could try and re-learn what to do. I remember using Registax last time but I thought I'd also give Autostakkert a try. The results from Registax are much better as far as I can tell because of the wavelet sharpening in it. I've read that people stack in AS and then sharpen in Registax, but what is the benefit of that workflow?

Anyway I'm not unhappy with this picture, through Registax, of an early evening moon but I welcome comments and suggestions :)45894294372_d7f900b097_b.jpg

First of all, nice result. I prefer AutoStakkert for stacking, and then sharpen using ImPPG (deconvolution and unsharp masking rather than wavelets) for both sun and moon, but for planets I tend to stack with AS!3, and then wavelet processing in Registax. I have had several run-ins with Registax crashing or behaving weirdly, so I just turn to AS!3, and it rarely fails me. AS!3 is also great for batch processing a large number of files for my mosaics

Lovely image :)

I have found hat Registax can struggle to stack some large images where Autostakkert doesn't, even when I've cropped them as far as possible with PIPP.  In that case it was easier to use the latter for stacking, then save the image and load it into Registax for further processing.

James

Archived