Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

That loupe looks like an EP hmm...

AnotherJohnH

Starting to get to grips with my first telescope and thinking about extra/better eye pieces. Currently have the supplied cheap 25mm and 10mm Kellners. I already have a fairly expensive (I think it was ~£60) Horizon 6x loupe. Its intended purpose was to help focus the image on the ground glass of a large format camera, but it looks just like a telescope eyepiece. A quick web search would seem to indicate it might have a focal length of 35mm. Counting the reflections from a bright lamp I would guess it has at least 3 elements. Maybe it's like a Kellner? Unfortunately it has a 1 1/2" barrel but balances well enough on a 1 1/4" mount to be focused.

Seeing wasn't great tonight, but first impressions are surprisingly good, field of view was good, focus up to the edges seemed good. But need to try again on a night with better seeing.

Any one else tried a photographer's loupe as an eyepiece?

Many if not most of the modern "monocentric" planetary eyepieces are reportedly triplets of the Steinheil, Hasting, or other similarly cemented designs.  Edge correction may not be terrific, but in the center, your loupe should be fantastic.

Archived