Which Canon camera

I want to do some photography of the night sky , i am aware that i need a good sturdy tripod, a preferred Canon DSLR camera and a good quality lens i believe a 300mm . Could someone give me some more advice on anything else i need and what type of Canon camera i need , having read on this site a Canon is the way to go.

Many thanks for any advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Canon is a good route to go as much of the software and other bits needed seems to integrate very well with it.  Peripherals are also easy to get hold of, and many of the older lenses still work on newer models.

If you are looking for a used Canon then the EOS 450D is a pretty safe and cost effective choice, and it seems to perform pretty well.  It's an older model, but very functional for astro use.  They come up fairly often in the for sale section and on ABS.

Agree with above totally re. shorter focal length lens.

As mentioned, if you're not doing tracking using some type of mount, 300mm is a bit too much. I personally use a Canon 750D, a Canon EF 75-300mm lens, on an iOptron Skyguider Pro and an iOptron tripod. At 300mm, I am really pushing the capabilities of the mount and the kit lens itself. However, I am on a budget and know that I am not going to get images that are even close to what some people produce using higher end optics and mounts. I also go for minimalism when processing my images. Just enough to bring out some details. My whole purpose is to show people at our public outreach events what they can do with a very small amount of equipment and very basic skills.

I would advise you that you really have to know what you want to accomplish and buy the best that you can afford to accomplish that goal. If your goal is nightscapes, you can get some pretty good images with a camera and a widefield lens on a stationary tripod using short exposures. If your goal is deep sky, then you're going to need a tracking mount of some type, preferably an EQ, and I would also recommend a high quality prime focus lens or a small APO refractor. You can go the budget route and buy lesser equipment like a kit lens or a mini tracking mount like I have, but you have to manage your expectations.

Archived