Sh2-171 - An Autumn Beauty

Yoddha

Hello,

Let me share some info and my image of this interesting target.

Sh2-171 (AKA NGC 7822) is a young star forming complex in the constellation of Cepheus, 2600-3200ly away from Earth. The nebula is included in the Sharpless catalog while the young star cluster located in the upper left corner close the dark nebula is cataloged as Berkeley 59. The star from this cluster pointed by the thin dark arrow with approximate position at 10 a clock, on the border of the dark lagoon, is BD+66 1673 is considered as one of the hottest stars within 1 kpc of the Sun. Its temperature is around 45000 K and a luminosity ~100,000 times that of the Sun. It is one of the primary energy sources that lit the nebula and is forming the pillars of creation visible in the nebula. They are regions of star formation in which the proto stars create enough energy winds to resist to the powerful stellar winds of BD+66 1673.

Total: 9h 30min, WO 80FD, Reducer x0.8, Tak Em200, Ha 3nm (33x600s), OIII 3nm (23x600s), QHY22, APT, PHD2, PI, PS

get.jpg?insecure

Yep--looks like autumn.  A very nice bi-color palette.  Mine always end up a sickening pink.  I was shocked when I saw this very familiar nebula under the moniker sh2-171--I was expecting an unknown (to me) gas cloud!.  I have always seen it referred to as NGC 7288 as you have noted in parenthesis.   Nice image

Rodd 

Many thanks Rodd! The color math is R = Ha, G=0.8*OIII+0.2*Ha, B=OIII.

I have found it as Sh2-171 and thought that am imaging rare target... The was shocked that it is well known NGC object :D 

Archived