Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on Guidescope for Star Adventurer

Hi all,

I'm looking for a guidescope to put of the star adventure. I'm using a TS72 f6 APO for imaging. I will be using a ZWO-ASI120MC-S as guidecamera.

The ones I have in mind are:

-ZWO 30mm Mini Guider Scope

-TS Optics 50 mm DeLuxe Mini Guiding Scope and Finderscope

-TS Optics Deluxe 60 mm Guiding/Finder scope with micro focusing

Do you have experience or advice on those particular scope? Are there other (maybe better) options within that price range, for the SA, and for that particular FL?

Thank you,

Ken

i've been thinking about this also, and concluded the 30mm scope (either the zwo or QHY) would be the right one with this setup, although not purchased yet.

Probably someone else has some practical feedback..

On 20/10/2018 at 19:17, mikeyj1 said:

i've been thinking about this also, and concluded the 30mm scope (either the zwo or QHY) would be the right one with this setup, although not purchased yet.

Probably someone else has some practical feedback..

It would be nice to get some reviews for this mini scope, which are hard to find, so probably not too many people have it (because it is fairly new or it's not that good). 

Hopefully someone will drop by with some advice.

Ken

20 hours ago, Maxrayne said:

Was looking at the ZWO one as well together with the mini guidecam bundle on FLO as I'm thinking it will go nicely on the SW ST80

I've gone for the 50mm TS guidescope with an asi120. Should arrive a week from now.

If you're interested I could do a little review on it once I've got it up and running.

Ken

6 hours ago, Ken Mitchell said:

I've gone for the 50mm TS guidescope with an asi120. Should arrive a week from now.

If you're interested I could do a little review on it once I've got it up and running.

Ken

That would be grand ?

Hi Ken, I also have the ASI120mm which I use for a guide camera with an adapted skywatcher finderscope, works a treat. I got a finder of fleebay for £20, and got an adaptor From Modern astronomy. My rig below

575233346_MyRig.jpg.fcb8776fa9c9587c5a30e49818208b34.jpg

John

3 hours ago, johngm said:

Hi Ken, I also have the ASI120mm which I use for a guide camera with an adapted skywatcher finderscope, works a treat. I got a finder of fleebay for £20, and got an adaptor From Modern astronomy. My rig below

John

John,

I ordered the zwo 120 color, maybe not the best choice for guiding? should've gone for the mono instead?  I've chosen a 50mm f3.6 guidescope as it seemed to be a better choice to the zwo 30mm.

How much does your setup weighs aprox? I calculated I will have 4kg, scope, dslr and guide setup. The SA should be able to handle that I hope.

Ken

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:18, Ken Mitchell said:

John,

I ordered the zwo 120 color, maybe not the best choice for guiding? should've gone for the mono instead?  I've chosen a 50mm f3.6 guidescope as it seemed to be a better choice to the zwo 30mm.

How much does your setup weighs aprox? I calculated I will have 4kg, scope, dslr and guide setup. The SA should be able to handle that I hope.

Ken

Ken,

My Altair 60EDF weighs around 2Kg, not sure of the total weight with camera and guidescope, but the SA handles it no problem. I will have to take off the imaging train and weigh it all, you've got me curious now ?. I can get 5min subs with no dropped frames (unless passing satellite's  or aircraft). I reckon I could get longer but haven't tried yet. Unfortunately, where I live, skyglow becomes a problem after this, even with a LP filter.

Your 120MC camera should not be an issue for guiding. 

John

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2018 at 09:06, johngm said:

Ken,

My Altair 60EDF weighs around 2Kg, not sure of the total weight with camera and guidescope, but the SA handles it no problem. I will have to take off the imaging train and weigh it all, you've got me curious now ?. I can get 5min subs with no dropped frames (unless passing satellite's  or aircraft). I reckon I could get longer but haven't tried yet. Unfortunately, where I live, skyglow becomes a problem after this, even with a LP filter.

Your 120MC camera should not be an issue for guiding. 

John

Hi John,

Received the camera and guidescope last week and I'm now trying to set up phd2. I chose "on camera" as mount, is it normal that the software doesn't "recognize" the SA? 

In phd2 can I test somehow if the SA is connected? I tried use the manual guiding but I don't see the mount changing position.

I won't be able to do some testing at night for the coming week(s), bad forecasts. 

How should I set up the software? Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Archived