Yet another M31

tomato

This is a 3 panel mosaic, centre taken with an AA 102 APO, outer limbs with an Esprit 150, using a Mesu 200 and G2-8300 camera. All frames calibrated in APP and stitched together in APP, processed in APP and PS, Startools wouldn't load the files.

I had a lot of problems with smoothing the joins and background, as you can see from the version I posted in the Help section, but I have spent some time playing with settings in APP and made some progress, but the joins are still there. Something weird has happened in the lower right, the diffuse edge is missing? Colours pushed too hard also, on reflection.

All subs 300 secs, integration times as follows:

L 4200s

R 3000s

G 3000

B 3000s

Thanks for looking

combine-RGB-image-2-lpc-cbg-St v2.jpg

13 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I would say your perseverance has paid off. There are a lot of quality elements within this mosaic especially the blue and red areas upper left.  Great job 

Thank you, I agree the upper left is definitely better than the lower right.

Thanks Peter, I am curious as to why the upper left limb appears superior in colour and detail to the lower right, all these subs were taken on the same night within an hour of each other. However I do have to say the range of settings in APP at the stacking stage did produce a variety of effects, not all of them consistent across the image.

I found that applying gradient removal beforehand helps for a seamless integration. I encounter the biggest issues at normalization. Sometimes I have to choose advanced normalization, sometimes regular, sometimes multiply only after a linear fit in PixInsight. Mosaics and light pollution really don't get along.

Archived