NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Esprit 80 - How Best to Unscrew Nuts Within OTA

Re-felted the rings and fitted the spacers. Dew shield is well clear of Losmandy plate and there is plenty of room for dew heater bands. The setup feels nice and solid.

20181102_232501-1-1.thumb.jpg.6f065c359647eafee4815f2ad83feeaa.jpg

Looking good now just as bonfire night is approaching!

Andy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump and old(ish) thread here, but I have a very newbie question.

Before I start tugging and pulling at my beloved Esprit; how do you actually remove the focuser from the OTA? I’ve looked online but cannot fine the answer.

Is it simply a case of spinning back the captains wheel and the focuser detaches? Is there anything else I should be aware of/risks of this mod?

Sorry again for such a noob question. Just want to make sure I approach this the right way, first time. 

1 hour ago, Astro Buer said:

Sorry to bump and old(ish) thread here, but I have a very newbie question.

Before I start tugging and pulling at my beloved Esprit; how do you actually remove the focuser from the OTA? I’ve looked online but cannot fine the answer.

Is it simply a case of spinning back the captains wheel and the focuser detaches? Is there anything else I should be aware of/risks of this mod?

Sorry again for such a noob question. Just want to make sure I approach this the right way, first time. 

Yep just rotate the "Captains Wheel" and it will separate.

Its not rocket science and really is very simple.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Astro Buer said:

Is there anything else I should be aware of/risks of this mod?

You need to be a bit careful when unscrewing nut 2 shown in the photo below. It is the inner nut and is behind an inner ring (highlighted in Blue on the photo). You wouldn't want to knock that ring as any damage could affect star shape. It's not high risk you just need to ease the nut loose. I used this Draper socket set to get over that ring and loosen the bolt.

https://www.drapertools.com/product/16442/1-4inch-Sq-Dr-Metric-Socket-Set-(20-Piece)

The ratchet is just the right size. Any similar set would work.

You've probably seen in the earlier posts, but just in case you missed it the mounting foot has rubber stuck to it. That peels off to reveal 4 screws. Undo them and you can get to the 2 screw heads to hold them in place whilst you undo the nuts within the OTA.

One other thing. I tilted the OTA to one side and this helped the inner nut stay within the ratchet head once released from the screw. Just avoids any risk of the nut falling into the OTA.

20181219_005407.thumb.jpg.9c85ae5dff02b6dbb5f554dd77a9a4db.jpg

Andy.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2018 at 01:15, Andyb90 said:

You need to be a bit careful when unscrewing nut 2 shown in the photo below. It is the inner nut and is behind an inner ring (highlighted in Blue on the photo). You wouldn't want to knock that ring as any damage could affect star shape. It's not high risk you just need to ease the nut loose. I used this Draper socket set to get over that ring and loosen the bolt.

https://www.drapertools.com/product/16442/1-4inch-Sq-Dr-Metric-Socket-Set-(20-Piece)

The ratchet is just the right size. Any similar set would work.

You've probably seen in the earlier posts, but just in case you missed it the mounting foot has rubber stuck to it. That peels off to reveal 4 screws. Undo them and you can get to the 2 screw heads to hold them in place whilst you undo the nuts within the OTA.

One other thing. I tilted the OTA to one side and this helped the inner nut stay within the ratchet head once released from the screw. Just avoids any risk of the nut falling into the OTA.

20181219_005407.thumb.jpg.9c85ae5dff02b6dbb5f554dd77a9a4db.jpg

Andy.

Thank you for your detailed account. Very much appreciated!! 

• 10 months later...
On 29/10/2018 at 13:45, RayD said:

And the glue on the felt is rubbish so after a while you'll find the glue fails and the OTA starts sliding out of the rings.....felt and all!

I’ve been a tad disappointed with these rings as well.  The felt doesn’t grip, it came unglued and I had the sticky hinge problem as well.  I replaced the felt with strips of butyl rubber and lubricated the hinges after giving them some “exercise” and all is well.  Shouldn’t have needed to with a so-called “premium” product though.

But they do look fantastic on a red Avalon mount.  Daft, I know, cos the kit is in the dark but if you have already spent a shedload of money then it may as well look good as well!