NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick Ha fun with Fuji X-T1

Just for some fun last night put an Ha filter (Baader 7nm 31mm) in front of my Samyang 35mm f1.2 lens on Fuji X-T1. 

This is 8 x 40sec at f1.4 iso 6400, cropped to about 70% due to get rid of the heavy vignetting.

OK the lens is very fast, but still shows that the fuji camera has reasonable sensitivity at Ha.

xt1_35mm_ha_1.jpg

xt1_35mm_ha_1ann.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck, I think it's a good camera. The only pain is stacking the RAWs, as fuji uses a different sensor type, I don't think the free packages cope with it, at least they didn't when I checked last about 2 years ago. I ended up buying AstroArt.

3 minutes ago, thomasv said:

Good luck, I think it's a good camera. The only pain is stacking the RAWs, as fuji uses a different sensor type, I don't think the free packages cope with it, at least they didn't when I checked last about 2 years ago. I ended up buying AstroArt.

Just goes to prove what I always believed about my X-T1, that it had a good Ha response. The ways I sort of got around the unique sensor array was to convert RAFs to DNGs using the free Adobe DNG converter. DSS does stack DNGs. However, as I was doing Alt-Az imaging and taking lots and lots of short exposure images, the duplication of all those files became a pain and consumed a lot of storage. In the end I turned to AstroArt, like you. However, whilst 'it works', as far as I can see the processing does not conform to the normal processing regime, that is, calibration on un-'de-Bayered' files, and stacking on the resultant and 'deBayered' calibrated files (if I've got that the right way around!). As I say though, I've had good enough results from it.

Ian

8 minutes ago, thomasv said:

Good old engineering material called blue-tack... not very satisfactory I know.

I’ve used Blu-tak myself you see to attach an ha filter to a camera, and was curious if you had also adopted this universally renowned method ?

On 05/10/2018 at 09:44, thomasv said:

Just for some fun last night put an Ha filter (Baader 7nm 31mm) in front of my Samyang 35mm f1.2 lens on Fuji X-T1. 

This is 8 x 40sec at f1.4 iso 6400, cropped to about 70% due to get rid of the heavy vignetting.

OK the lens is very fast, but still shows that the fuji camera has reasonable sensitivity at Ha.

Out of interest, did you find much signal in the B and G channels, or was this taken from just the R channel?

Ian

Sorry, don't remember now if I created the image by taking the red channels only or stacking the colour and turning mono. But I've gone back and here are the blue and green channels of one of the subs. Just about make out some nebulosity in the blue one, not much in the green.

DSCF3777_B.thumb.jpg.71c00344b415b1881799db339e4e99fb.jpg

DSCF3777_G.thumb.jpg.4f14b516184d32b37d50af72c7c9b535.jpg

Archived