Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cocoon Nebula

Miguel1983

Hi,

clear night yesterday, so i moved the scope outside to attempt a image of the cocoon nebula witch is currently arround the zenith position.

I was planning on taking 35 3min subs, but when i checked my status after an hour i noticed my laptop had run out of power (did't plug it in) so i only got 12 subs.

So made the best of what i had and i used calibration frames from previous sessions.

943878632_Cocoonnebula-Stacked-Startools-AFP3.jpg.707464e73bb99946183e0495bfb3d5b9.jpg362333562_Cocoonnebula-Stacked-Startools-AFP3-Crop.jpg.803fd7d74655895a0211abc7a3ca81e3.jpg

Cheers

For 36 minutes of data, I think you have the basis of a great result there. More data is definitely the way to go.

As regards the calibration frames, a standard set of bias subs (or a standard master-bias) is fine, but (if you are using the Canon in your signature) I'm not sure that darks from a previous session will help a lot, as it is does not have set-point cooling and flats will only be of benefit if the equipment is exactly the same as the previous session (including orientation & focus).

Nice one, you can clealy see B168 as well. I had the chance to observe this object recently, it was quite tricky to find, but managed in the end by following the dark cigar to its end.

Archived