Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tak Epsilon secondary recoat?

I've somehow managed to permanently blemish the surface of the secondary of my tak e130d (i assume it's due to water damage) and although the total area affected  is quite small i suspect it's causing the spiky halos I'm seeing on brighter stars especially in blue and luminance. 

I'd be grateful for any suggestions; does anybody have any thoughts? Galvoptics seem to offer a reasonable recoating service although I'm unsure how they would deal with the attached flocking material and the centre spot. 

I presume it's possible to get a replacement from takahashi through my dealer but fear the cost may be excessive...

Paul 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/09/2018 at 18:15, Ikonnikov said:

I've somehow managed to permanently blemish the surface of the secondary of my tak e130d (i assume it's due to water damage) and although the total area affected  is quite small i suspect it's causing the spiky halos I'm seeing on brighter stars especially in blue and luminance. 

I'd be grateful for any suggestions; does anybody have any thoughts? Galvoptics seem to offer a reasonable recoating service although I'm unsure how they would deal with the attached flocking material and the centre spot. 

I presume it's possible to get a replacement from takahashi through my dealer but fear the cost may be excessive...

Paul 

is the secondary mirror still just a flat surface...if so i dont see why it would be expensive to replace.

On 11/10/2018 at 22:26, Adam J said:

is the secondary mirror still just a flat surface...if so i dont see why it would be expensive to replace.

I believe it's a simple flat mirror, it's just that Takahashi does have somewhat of a reputation for eyewateringly expensive accessories. I was thinking of a inquiring about re-coating in the first instance and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Galvoptics (or similar)...

38 minutes ago, Ikonnikov said:

I was thinking of a inquiring about re-coating in the first instance and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Galvoptics (or similar)...

Galvoptics ( Image optics ) is a small family firm that I’ve used several times for mirror recoating, as have members of my local club.   I’ve always had good service from them and wouldn’t hesitate to use their services again.  You can phone and talk to someone and usually get a price, although their price list is online.

HTH, Ed.

Archived