NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor accessories

I see with a lot of the refractors on the market they come with these diagonal thingys and some other stuff. What does this do? For example: http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=pro80ed1ota and http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=pro80ed2ota

same scope, big difference in price due to accessories. Are these needed for optimal performance? what exactly do they do!?

Thanks

Alex

you need a diagonal otherwise your scope won't come to focus (ie the focusser won't go out far enough). You can use an extension tube (just a little straight tube) instead of a diagonal but then you have to look straight through the scope like a pirate and it is incredibly uncomfortable if you're looking up in the sky (where most astronomical targets tend to be :) )

I have eyepieces though theyre not GREAT. I also have a finderscope. So i would definetly need a diagonal.

Found this one second hand. Now I know its not an APO, and i was looking forward to using one, but this one seems good value. eyepieces, diagonal etc. http://astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=21418

I just bought the nexstar SLT 60 for the gotomount, and was informed it should take a good 80mm refractor. Think this is a good choice? I was looking at the evostar but its a lot more cash, as is the william optics version (though i am sure theyre much better)

I'm afraid I don't know very much about the specific refractors you mention. Only thing I would say is that the Celestron sLT60 looks very small/light and I would guess that an 80mm evostar would be a lot bigger so check if the mount will take it . I'm sure someone else who knows more than me will come along in a minute... :)

I think the Revelation 80mm semi-apo is a nice scope and a bit lighter and smaller than the Skywatcher ED80 Pro. What I don't know is how you would attach it to your SLT 60 mount and also the Revelation 80 does not come with a finder and I'm pretty sure that the one that the came with your Celestron SLT 60 won't fit as it's a different design.

It might be worth considering that scope if someone can help solve the mounting and finder issues.

John

The SLT mount takes a standard dovetail fitting. I'm using a skywatcher dovetail and tuberings to mount my Konus Vista 80s (weighs 1.5 Kg, 2Kg with the 450d attached) and the NexStar works fine in that config. The ED80 weighs about 2.5 Kg I think it is, so it might get up near the limits of the NexStar mount. I know someone, I think rawhead, is using this setup, the ed80 on the NexStar.

Not sure how much the revelation weighs, but sounds like it should be ok on the SLT mount. Perhaps someone has this scope and knows exact weights? Also the finderscope issue, well if i have to buy one then i will. I have a small newt at the moment and that has a finderscope that might fit as well.

Here is a link to a review of a scope called an Antares Sentinel which I believe is exactly the same scope as the Revelation 80 - just branded differently (this is quite common with astro gear !). It includes the weight of the tube and a lot of other information which might be useful to you:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1406

John

Yeah I know the Ed is better as its an APO, but i think this one will be good enough for my needs. I just need to be sure it will be ok for the SLT 60 goto mount i just bought.

Here is a review by one of our members of his experiences with a William Optics 72mm on an SLT mount. The WO 72mm weighs 2.2 kg so is a little lighter than Revelation 80, but only a little:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=30327.0

Personally I reckon that the the SLT / Rev 80 combination will be OK for visual observing but you might find it shakes a bit at high powers and I don't think it would be suitable for imaging as you tend to need much steadier mounts for that.

John

I have a very similar scope (Antares 80mm Semi APO) and I think it's a great little piece of equipment. For £180 with all those accessories sounds to be great value, especially how much they cost new:

Antares Sentinel Kit

I'd think about investing in a violet, or fringe-killer filter with it though, in order to get the best performance.

Mark

Archived