NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC6992 - A bit too colourful?

upahill

Still trying to learn processing in PixInsight - getting a bit more used to it now and starting to understand some of what im doing instead of blindly following tutorials.

Not quite mastered colour calibration but thought I would share anyway as I quite like it.

Only an hour of data (5min subs), Canon 1200DMod. TS65Q

NGC6992 v1.jpg

I don't think there's too much colour but, to my eye, the blues are a touch cyan and the reds a touch orange, both suggesting a balance weighted towards yellow. I don't know how you'd adjust that in PI but a quick spin on the JPEG in Ps Selective Colour gave this:

yellow.JPG.672908ef76b876ebb085d9b4f02daa18.JPG

Have you tried the photometric colour calibration in PI? I've used it a few times when my regular box of tricks wouldn't work and found it pretty good.

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Have you tried the photometric colour calibration in PI? I've used it a few times when my regular box of tricks wouldn't work and found it pretty good.

Olly

I have only managed to get it working once, but should probably try again and learn how to use it. Good idea!

18 hours ago, upahill said:

I have only managed to get it working once, but should probably try again and learn how to use it. Good idea!

You need to make sure the coords are pretty close to the target otherwise I've found it struggles to PlateSolve. Also, last time it wouldn't work at all for me until I realised I had drizzled the stack in DSS so had to half the arc sec/pixel scale!

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

There was another Veil posted recently with the same cyan-orange bias. Are you using an LP filter?

Olly

Ah yeah, Baader UHC-S never thought of it affecting the colour but i suppose it would.

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

You need to make sure the coords are pretty close to the target otherwise I've found it struggles to PlateSolve. Also, last time it wouldn't work at all for me until I realised I had drizzled the stack in DSS so had to half the arc sec/pixel scale!

I found if I use the image solve script first and save the details in the image, then aquire the details from image in the calibration screen it works, but if i put the coords into the calibration screen it wont solve.

Thanks for mentioning the drizzle and halfing the scale I wouldn't have thought of that at all!

I usually upload the image to astrometry and then use the coords - It is nice when it works though and the annotation script is amazing.

8 minutes ago, upahill said:

Ah yeah, Baader UHC-S never thought of it affecting the colour but i suppose it would.

I found if I use the image solve script first and save the details in the image, then aquire the details from image in the calibration screen it works, but if i put the coords into the calibration screen it wont solve.

Thanks for mentioning the drizzle and halfing the scale I wouldn't have thought of that at all!

I usually upload the image to astrometry and then use the coords - It is nice when it works though and the annotation script is amazing.

I didn't think of the drizzle thing either, I had to Google it and by chance found a post on the PI forum about it!

Archived