Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece as camera lens?

vlaiv

I was playing around with idea of creating 10um slit (it looks like it is really hard thing to do properly) - well "half slit" for a project, and I was examining pencil sharpener blades - with 25mm eyepiece :D

Simple plossl, symmetric, works both ways, by screwing off nose piece there is enough room for comfortable viewing, while I used eye lens as "magnifying" side - easier to "focus" since scope side focus is almost inside barrel, eye side is free to move in close to subject - looks a bit like watch makers eyepiece in use :D

Anyway, it's a great, sharp, magnifying tool, but it occurred to me that it could as well function as camera lens? Anyone tried something like that? There are models with T2 thread for eyepiece projection - that + simple helical T2 focuser (or sliding one), could turn for example 32mm plossl into camera lens, sort of "almost all sky" - not sure what the FOV would be, and I'm wondering about distortion and curvature as well - maybe on a small sensor of guide camera?

Archived