Skywatcher ED72

smr

19 minutes ago, smr said:

Assuming I buy one or the other are these all the items I'd need to get them connected to my DSLR? (Not thinking about guiding just yet)

£200 price difference if so, optically the Z73 should be expected to be better too? not just a better focuser? and the slightly wider fov appeal, I think I could maybe justify the price differential if so.

SWED80.thumb.jpg.dd503bccafa9e1c9a648eecc45e960c7.jpg

WOZ73.thumb.jpg.e269533f93cd5a5571c609156472b230.jpg

Not sure why you are using a m48 to t2 adapter? I think that the FLAT73 just screws directly into the M48 DSLR ring adapter?

The converter is likely for people with dedicated astronomy cameras that tend to use a T2 fitting.

Don't think of it as just the focuser or the optics its the whole package, does not matter how good the optics are if you are let down by the focuser and vice versa.

Personally I would say that they will likely have similar levels of color correction, its hard to tell without seeing a spot diagram. But for me the ZS73 is about the focuser, the built in camera rotator in the flat 73, the retractable dew shield, little things like the temperature dial in the focus knob, the general attention to detail in build quality, the fact it includes finder rings and that it is closer to your ideal focal length.

So is it worth the extra cash, I think so.

Adam

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can go wrong with either tbh. 

But i can only really speak of the 80ED, as i own one. I love mine and don't regret buying it for a second. Considering it's low price, it punches way above it's weight. Yes, the build quality could be better in places, but none of it is a deal-breaker in any way and it still just produces great images. Now my focuser did need adjusting (as per the Youtube video) to stop it from slipping, but it wan't too difficult to do in fairness (only involves tightening a few screws). And as Marky1973 also stated, if you add a cheap Skywatcher handheld auto-focuser, it will help a lot with slippage too. So much so, that i basically never have to worry about it. I rarely even have to change focus throughout the night, as mine seems to hold focus pretty well (although i image from a driveway, so temp don't tend to fluctuate massively). For info, on my drawtube i have the SW x0.85 FR/FF and a Nikon D5300 DSLR.

One nice thing about the WO flattener though is the fact it allows easy rotating. I quickly learned that i needed the ability to easily rotate my setup in order to match my target's framing in SGP's Framing & Mosaic Wizard. So i added a couple of accessories from FLO (see links below). It adds another £85 to the price though, if that makes a difference to you.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-2956256-m56-celestron-skywatcher.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-adapter-for-skywatcher-focal-reducers.html

On 23/09/2018 at 02:56, Xiga said:

I don't think you can go wrong with either tbh. 

But i can only really speak of the 80ED, as i own one. I love mine and don't regret buying it for a second. Considering it's low price, it punches way above it's weight. Yes, the build quality could be better in places, but none of it is a deal-breaker in any way and it still just produces great images. Now my focuser did need adjusting (as per the Youtube video) to stop it from slipping, but it wan't too difficult to do in fairness (only involves tightening a few screws). And as Marky1973 also stated, if you add a cheap Skywatcher handheld auto-focuser, it will help a lot with slippage too. So much so, that i basically never have to worry about it. I rarely even have to change focus throughout the night, as mine seems to hold focus pretty well (although i image from a driveway, so temp don't tend to fluctuate massively). For info, on my drawtube i have the SW x0.85 FR/FF and a Nikon D5300 DSLR.

One nice thing about the WO flattener though is the fact it allows easy rotating. I quickly learned that i needed the ability to easily rotate my setup in order to match my target's framing in SGP's Framing & Mosaic Wizard. So i added a couple of accessories from FLO (see links below). It adds another £85 to the price though, if that makes a difference to you.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-2956256-m56-celestron-skywatcher.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-adapter-for-skywatcher-focal-reducers.html

Your flickr is a great advert for the SWED80. 

I am torn between getting one or the Z73. 

From what I can tell, if comparing this to the William Optics Z73 it's a trade off between the following:

Advantages of the Z73

Image quality - both great glass - I'm guessing the Z73 would a bit cleaner and crisper, but probably indistinguishable to most.
Build quality - Attention to detail, build quality and finish is better
FOV is ever so slightly wider but this is negligible insofar as I'd be happy with either fov.
R&P Focuser substantially better and should be able to hold my Canon 80D rock solid without having to faff around or potentially spend more money on focusers.
Portability and retractable dew shield

Advantages of the ED80

Optically pretty much on the same level as the Z73
Around £200 cheaper when factoring in the field flatteners/reducers on both scopes
Livery and brand name would suit my green and white HEQ5 Pro

4 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. This one has a proper focuser and a sharp lens and with its field flattener comes well under your 600 budget.

HTH

Thanks, the only thing that puts me off is if I did have to return it, if it was in the UK I wouldn't mind but it'd be shipping etc.

1 hour ago, smr said:

if I did have to return it,

You're probably thinking of another quite popular make;)

On the rare occasion that something goes wrong or you change your mind with ES stuff, Bresser will email you a prepaid label. Works great from Spain.

38 minutes ago, alacant said:

You're probably thinking of another quite popular make;)

On the rare occasion that something goes wrong or you change your mind with ES stuff, Bresser will email you a prepaid label. Works great from Spain.

Sounds good. Have you bought display items from them before?

28 minutes ago, smr said:

bought display items from them before?

Yes. All our telescopes were bought from their sale link. Between us, we have nt150L, nt150s, pn208 for ap and various achromatic refractors up to 152mm for observing. All arrived via ups new and unused. HTH.

6 minutes ago, alacant said:

Yes. All our telescopes were bought from their sale link. Between us, we have nt150L, nt150s, pn208 and various achromatic refractors up to 152mm for observing. All arrived via ups new and unused. HTH.

Thanks, I rang bresser up earlier after you posted the link, I asked him what display meant (as obviously it can mean different things - ie. shop shelf, shop windows etc.) and he said they aren't a shop as such but it may have been taken to fairs, trade shows etc. which slightly put me off, insofar as thinking people might be picking items up and not handling them gently. He said it might come with some light scratches but when I asked him what the lens element would be like he said it would be in perfect condition. Not sure how he knows the lenses are all perfect unless the caps were kept on.

So all of those items ex display and as though they were brand new? I bought some DJ gear years ago which was "b stock" (ex display etc.) and couldn't believe how good condition it was, I wouldn't have been able to tell whether it was brand new or not.

Archived