Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North American Nebula

First of all what a difference it makes when imaging something literally right above you! I don't think I'd need light pollution filters even, I'm not entirely sure on that, but the stacked image I got last night the sky background looks very nice and with no noise at all or light pollution gradients/effects. I've never imaged something with the camera literally pointing 100% vertically. It may be also that the conditions were good last night, hardly any wind, sky did look quite dark - and it's supposed to be bortle 6 where I live. You can see the light pollution though but it's effect isn't as much as right above you is it.

Anyway just wondered if anyone wanted to have a go with the data I got - I think I can even see some whispy nebulosity, might not be but would be interesting if it is.

There isn't much data but it might be enough to get something. Didn't have a particularly smooth time trying to frame, polar alignment I can do and find it really easy now, but it's tricky getting the Star Adventurer then framing an object well with the 3-way pan head I have and having to release the clutch to swing the mount around so the head can tilt back enough to image something directly above. Was going to pack it in but I thought I'd persevere and hopefully it's paid off with a bit of data - if not every night is a learning curve.

NA Nebula.tif

Wow - that is a big file to download! A 20MP camera image?

I did give it a go with my limited processing abilities. The image is red - a modified camera?

My resulting effort doesn't provide a lot - looks like some sort of central brightness rather than the NAN. Others who are better at processing will do doubt do better.

It would help to know exposure time, # exposures and more about the equipment.

NA Nebula Combined.jpg

I had a quick go, and the best i could manage is below. Literally just 10 mins in AstroPixelProcessor, to remove light pollution, do star calibration, and perform a quick stretch. Then about another 15 mins in PS to finish off. 

You don't say what gear you are using, but i suspect it is a DSLR that has not been modified to make it more sensitive to H-alpha?

ps - I also strongly recommend taking some Flats next time ?  It was a challenge to process, mainly because of the lack of flats. 

NA_Nebula-csc-St.jpg

Both great ! Thanks for that. Exposure wise it was 30 seconds each sub, ISO 1600. And about 45 minutes of total exposure time, no bias, darks or flats. With flats can't you take them at anytime?

My Camera is a Canon 80D , unmodded. 

Archived