NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you use a 4k TV for flats calibration

Wirral man

Hi all been updating my camera settings and taking new calibration files for the asi1600 mm cooled now I have done the darks no problem as I can set the camera up to be cooled,

it's just the flats now I need to do so I was wondering if I can use my TV.

IE use the internet on TV and select white page which makes the screen all white and set up scope and cam just in front of it covered up correctly and use the apt exposure tab and run the flats?? Just curious as to if anyone else has done this as I dont want to buy a separate panel just to do this thanks 

So you're bringing your scope in from the outside - undisturbed from the imaging session- to to take flats?  Something will move during that manoeuvre making such flats useless.

If you're using the ED80 you could use an iPad over the end of it for flats.

I agree with Kirkster501, it's not the way to go to make flats and the I-Pad suggestion is far more sensible.

However, I do use a 4K UHD monitor for display and if you ever take up the EAA route your TV offers similar potential provided it has the appropriate inputs.  My Atik Horizon camera (same specification as your ZWO) exceeds 4K UHD resolution, so I adopt a long 'active' USB3.0 cable into my man-cave observatory  and to an Intel NUC then use its 'Thunderbolt' display output to a 4K UHD monitor (but suitable HDMI is fine, just slower).

Compared to a regular 1080p HD laptop screen the improvement gained from a 4K UHD display is worthwhile, but like any equipment enhancement it obviously has a cost (but here, you already have the 4K UHD TV). Embracing 4K UHD is particular helpful for Hyperstar users that gain FOV but consequently lose some magnification, hence may desire deeper camera <zoom> before on screen pixelation occurs. 4K UHD is possibly not worth the investment for regular AP with camera mounted at the rear,  but for EAA (notably on Hyperstar) the 4K UHD experience is compelling. Laptop screens are not keeping pace with ever higher CMOS and CCD camera resolutions unless you buy devices at the extreme top end specification. My 4K UHD monitor was merely £230, but if you already have a 4K UHD TV, why not use it (e.g. assuming no objections from other family members!).

Gotta agree here too. I used to do this regularly, and probably 1 in 3 sessions, bumped something in the image train, or a piece of dust moved, and my flats were worthless. But 2 out of the 3 times it worked! Haha. 

What I now do is cover the scope with a folded over white t-shirt, and aim at a clear part of the dusk or dawn sky, and take my flats. The FOV is so small that this is a really effective "light box". And there is plenty of light available to expose to the correct ADU value for your flats. Most times after an evening of imaging, I wake up, head over to my scope and point it up at an open spot of the sky, put the white shirt over the front, and capture a few flats. The white t-shirt diffuses the light sufficiently to capture the flats with even lighting across the front lens. I've had no issues doing it this way, and flats are perfect every time.

Archived