SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C14 for visual use

Probably just a pipe dream, but I have occasionally toyed with the idea of getting a C14 primarily for visual use and just wondered if anyone had experience with these and how they found it? It would mean selling a bunch of other stuff so not something I'm keen to rush into, but the thought crosses my mind occasionally. My main concerns are the limited field of view and high minimum magnification. Would appreciate thoughts on the matter :)

16 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I say that it's an awesome imaging and observing planetary scope but for DSO, you will miss out on those wide views that are delivered by f4.5 or f5 newtonians of the same aperture... and a newt will cost you a lot less.

Yeah that was my concern too! I wondered about piggy backing a 5" refractor on it as a super finder and for wide fields but 5" isn't much aperture compared to a big newt! I'm a bit restricted by the fact that it would have to live in my existing observatory and fit on my existing mount (which will have no trouble with the weight but would leave the eyepiece of a newt rather inaccessible :)

I've used a few and they can give awesome Lunar and planetary views, in fact the best image of Jupiter I've ever seen was with a C14. I wouldn't get too hung up on the relatively small field of view for DSO's, there are only a handfull that don't fit into its lowest power and it opens up a host of more obscure objects. I would get one in a heartbeat if I hadn't already got two 16" Meade SCT's.   ?

8 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I would get one in a heartbeat if I hadn't already got two 16" Meade SCT's.   ?

Oh no, theres another even bigger option! :D Trouble is the shutter opening of my observatory is only about 600mm so if I went too crazy I'd not be able to see out! 

21 minutes ago, timwetherell said:

Yeah that was my concern too! I wondered about piggy backing a 5" refractor on it as a super finder and for wide fields but 5" isn't much aperture compared to a big newt! I'm a bit restricted by the fact that it would have to live in my existing observatory and fit on my existing mount (which will have no trouble with the weight but would leave the eyepiece of a newt rather inaccessible :)

At the end of the day, whether you go for the 14" SCT or a Newt/Dobsonian, you will love the scope.... SCT will be easier to collimate, but the views I got in a 14" f4.5 Dob through a 17mm Ethos or 31mm Nagler eyepiece are amazing.

I find that collimation of my 14" dob for planetary observing is a pain, where the 14" SCT will be much easier.... the best view of Jupiter I got to date was through the 14" dob... but the best view of Saturn was through my 8" SCT!!! I havent seen anything better in my 14" dob yet, brighter yes, better or more detailed, NO!!!!... The moon was crisper and more detailed in the 14" dob but the 14" dob showed me the best DSO and nebulae... so the 14" SCT will shine on planets but for deep sky a newt will give you the option of high power and wide angle...

If only we all could have them ALL....

Archived