NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan Vs EqMod, how much do you gain?

I am using EQMod through my Synscan handset and have had no problems as yet. Like you have said Reg, it saves you paying for another interface and you can still use the direction pad on it for alignment. You do not need to setup anything on the handset just set it to PC Direct Mode only

Regards

Kevin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is all very interesting!

I've just brough a set of RA and DEC motors with the little hand set for a CG-5 (not a GOTO thingy) they've not arrived yet and I've not looked into hooking them up to a computer at all, but what would i need to do to hook the mount up to the lappy using these motors? can it be done or do i need the Synscan type hand set. As i say I've not looked into this at all so only a brief reply would be nice to get me looking in the right direction.

Cheers

Chris.

Hi Kevin, I did actually relent and last week made up my own USB-EQDirect cable, it is much better I must say, just need to get used to the joystick buttons for alignment and I'll be away.

Could you share any designs you used for the USB-EQDirect cable?

This is all very interesting!

I've just brough a set of RA and DEC motors with the little hand set for a CG-5 (not a GOTO thingy) they've not arrived yet and I've not looked into hooking them up to a computer at all, but what would i need to do to hook the mount up to the lappy using these motors? can it be done or do i need the Synscan type hand set. As i say I've not looked into this at all so only a brief reply would be nice to get me looking in the right direction.

Cheers

Chris.

EQmod will only work with Synta mounts, its programmed to talk to the stepper board that is unique to that brand.

Going back to Reg's original question, in a nutshell, what is EQ Mod? Is it simply a lead, plug and software that enables a PC to do what the Synta handset does or is there more to it than that? From what I hear it has a strong and loyal following so it must be more?

And what are "the eqmosaic or pecprep applications"? Are they addons?

Essentially EQMOD is an open source Project to deliver mount control software. The current EQMOD deliverables consist of

EQASCOM - ASCOM mount driver and user interface.

EQMOSAIC - ASCOM client for mosaic generation

EQTOUR - ASCOM client providing lightweight tour/planner

EQMODLX - LX200-ASCOM convrsion utility used for satelite tracking

PECPRep - Periodic error analysic and PEC curve generator.

All EQMOD deliverables are made available free of change and are open source (with the execpetion of the SYNTA communicaitons dll). Currently EQASCOM only provides support for the Synta EQ mounts but it is structured such support of other mounts is possible provided an appropriate low level communications dll is written. When folks refer to EQMOD they are usually referring to the EQASCOM driver.

To talk directly to the EQ mount a hardware convertor is required (or you can use synscan in PC-Direct mode). Whilst there are several commercial products available to do this (including one named EQDIR) please note that the EQMOD project is in no way affiliated with any of these companies. Whilst we are happy to keep out users informed of such products we have always provide clear instructions as to how to build these devices in keeping with our "free" and DIY apporach.

To answer a similar question on the EQMOD group I went through the SYNSCAN manual and using its headings/sections came up with the following list of features where I believe EQMOD/EQASOM offers an improvement.

User interface:

gamepad supported - button functions totally configurable. Many folks use wireless gamepads

Initial Setup:

Time/timezone/daylight savings etc taken From PC, corrected by GPS

Observing site - can store 10 preset locations.

Supports a wide range of GPS for automatic location and time sync correction.

Automated polar scope alignment.

Star Alignment.

No restriction on alignment star selection. You can align on ANY star in the sky, you are not set to a limited number of stars in a small list, you can choose a 15th magnitude star if you want, although not recommended :)

N-Star model. (1000 star max)

Pointing models can be saved and restored (manually or automatically on park /unpark) for those with permanently situtated mounts.

Pointing model can be refined by via sync to add new points.

Gotos:

Goto accuracy improved by pointing model and iterative gotos.

Limit protection for user defined Horizon

Slewing:

User definable slew rates on RA and DEC any where from 1-800 times sidereal

User definable preset rates (10 max).

Spiral search

Object Database:

Only restricted by the ASCOM client you're using

Tour user definable tours. show objects above horizon or any other declination you choose

No restriction on the number of user objects.

Park Scope:

Park on horizon limits or RA limits

Unpark to predefined position.

PEC Training:

Variable speed PEC rather than fixed speed.

Ability to load and save multiple PEC traces

Visualisation of worm phase and likely PE even when PEC not engaged.

Tracking:

PEC, if enabled, is integral part of Sidereal rate not a separate rate.

Custom RA and DEC rates supported

Limit protection for user defined Horizon and RA (meridian) limits

Autoguiding:

Pulseguide support, Visualisation of guiding corrections/performance,

Close integration with PEC.

EQMOSAIC is a spearate application from the EQASCOM driver. It is an ASCOM client and so should work with other ASCOM drivers. EQASCOM does include a quick launch button for EQMOASIC from its main user interface. EQMOSAIC allows the user to define a grid where cells are sized according to your imaging device's field of view. Using EQMOSAIC you can easily move around in "quantised" field of view steps and be sure not suffer form those annoying gaps in your mosaics.

PECPrep is a periodic error analysis program. It can import data from most popular guiding applications (PHD, Maxim, K3CCD, Metaguide, Guidemaster etc.) For EQASCOM users PECPrep also provides tools for creating and refining the PEC curve used by EQASCOM's variable speed PEC.

If you want to find out more about the EQMOD project and EQASCOM, EQMOSAIC and PECPrep then take a look at our project website and wiki (link on website)

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/

Chris.

EQmod will only work with Synta mounts, its programmed to talk to the stepper board that is unique to that brand.

Yes, the current EQASCOM is strictly Synta EQ.

That said, EQASCOM is structured as three distinct, and largely self contained, parts.

User interface and mount control functions

ASCOM interface

Low level mount communications (spearate dll)

It should be feasible to develop alternate comms dlls for other mount types. The problem is finding folks sufficiently informed, motivated and able to write them.

Chris

Archived