Hi Craig...

It lives on this...

9663_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

In Here...

9664_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Billy...

WOW Billy, that is a cracking obsy you have there, and that Pier is waaayyyy over rated for the scopes you have at the mo. I do like to see how others have their gear set up, I'm hoping it spurs me to get my a**e in gear and get a Pier in for myself.

Gary

and that Pier is waaayyyy over rated for the scopes you have at the mo...

Thansk Gary...

Do it once do it right...and ready for an upgrade :D

And when it's being done for "free" then a little bit of over engineering doesn't hurt anybody... apart from when it lands on your foot when your getting it out of the back of the car...Thank the lord for steel toecaps...

Billy...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I did away with the finder ... why bother with a 9x50 finder when you have a quality STR sitting on the top that can give you a whole range of different mags with different EP's... I dont even bother with an EP anymore though just use the Focus reticule on the camera...and Iam hoping to be entirely EP free now I have the Bullseye overlay in PHDGUide for initial alignment... No more faffing around changing from EP to Guidecam etc...

I have got a GLP mounted under the scope and a Red dot where the original finder was fitted and use these for coarse pointing..

Billy...

This is my horizon from the pier...basically its a 30 degree horizon with some extra bits sticking up...

It was the best I could get and hence used as the location for the pier and later the dome...

10635_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Couple of massive trees and telephone and power cables to worry about and 2 streetlights at scope level...

And sitting under one of the main flight paths for the transatlantic traffic...

But not too bad...

Billy...

• 10 months later...

Hi Billy,

I've just started putting the basic equipment together and am now waiting for the Meade 5000 80 ED APO to be re-stocked in the UK. Can you tell me what mounting system you have used for your widefield scope? Is it home grown or is it commercially available? Your experience would be really useful to me!

Dusty.

Its a commercially available system.. I bought it form Ian King Imaging but FLO will have something similar... I went oversize with the guiderings to allow for future scope upgrades... its been modified further since then....

If your going to mount a heavy (ish) scope above the SCT then a counterweight system to hang under the SCT is pretty essential.. I made my own...

Look for 3D balancing systems...

If the scope is going to be used on a wedge then the weakest link will be the nylon AZM bearings which will be taking a lot more load once you add all the extra kit... I replaced mine after about 16 months with High Grrade Chrome steel ones...

Peter...

Archived