Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orange star

Mr_Simnock

I am currently a bit baffled as of now. Looking north west form my window I can see an orange star in the sky, nothing odd about that apart from I could see it even though there was a lot of twilight around (about 10 mins ago) and I can't for the life of me think which star it is. Its in the area where Perseus should be but my conundrum is if I can see any of the stars in Perseus why can't I see many more? Most odd but I'm sure someone can point out what I'm looking at. I'm based in the Ribble valley, Lancashire. I know it's not Mars and it's too high in the sky to be Capella which I can't see.

Perseus is in the North East I think

It is in the North East your right, I got myself mixed up :)

Have you positively identified Mars?

Yes, that is very obvious now, I've enjoyed looking at it through my bino's which resolve it into a nice little bright orange ball.

I only asked yesterday because I can't remember ever seeing a star in that area so early after sunset, it was the only star I could see after sunset for about 5 minutes, most odd. Just been having a look at the Halo North sky software and I think it could be the star Y Andromedae. That is a quadruple star system with the main star apparently of spectral type K which is orange (edit).

Archived