Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help required - FITS Liberator - how to save edited metadata?

I need to submit a FITS image as part of the HOYS-CAPS project.

I downloaded FITS liberator and dutifully worked out how to apply a stretch and added all the metadata (equipment used, filter, capture date etc.)

But it only seems to allow me to save it as a TIFF, but the project requires me to submit the file as a FITS with the above information added.

Is there another way of doing this?

(P.S. it looks like a really good way of pe-processing an image between DSS and Photoshop to maximise what you get out of the 32-bit data!)

1 hour ago, daz said:

Thanks, not your fault but that takes user-unfriendliness to a new level - it's hard to tell what's a button and what's just information - and the workflow is cryptic!

I eventually figured it out, but it says the files is locked and won't save, even when I created a new empty folder and tried to save a copy in it.

I'll try again later ?

Oh woe that program is flaky. It renamed my FITS files with a date after the file extension. Then next time I tried to use it, it crashed.

The HOYS-CAPS project want DSLR Ha images as the red layer only. I think my work around is edit autosave to red only in photoshop, then convert to a FITS in DSS, then manually add metadata, hopefully FV from NASA will do this...

Hi Neil.

Try the free AVIS viewer, it could not be simpler, view the FITS header of the image, add or edit an existing FITS keyword then save as FITS with the header or save as tif, jpg etc for other applications that don't require the FITS header.

There is no checking of your edited fits header so be sure to use the correct keywords as defined in the FITS standard and enclose text strings with the appropriate delimiters, i.e. when adding a header for author the header should be AUTHOR and the string  Stub Mandrel and the way it would be entered is AUTHOR=   'Stub Mandrel    '/ owner of image.

To enter a new keyword place the cursor at the end of the line above where you want to place the new keyword and hit return to open a blank line below then enter your data. Make sure no keywords appear after the last line in the header which is noted by the END keyword.

Note that any changes to the image visualisation via the histogram tool or the grab scroll bars on the right hand side of the AVIS desktop are saved with the image so be sure to reset the histogram tool or scroll bars before saving unless you intend that the image is saved in a modified form.

http://www.msbsoftware.it/avis/

You can find a list of FITS keywords and values here:

https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/fcg/standard_dict.html

William.

Archived