Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Snagged three in a row

Guest HowieG

Guest HowieG

Had a clear night last night, 8/27.  I was able to bag Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars all in a row before the moon came up.  I was in bed by ten.

Taken from my backyard using a Celestron CPC 800 and a ZWO asi120mc.  Captures were mostly 15 seconds long.

Sat_205148_082718_g6_ap27_conv_rsab.bmp

Jup_210011_082718_g6_ap28_conv_rsab.bmp

Mars_210919_082718_g5_ap26_conv_rs.bmp

Guest HowieG
3 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice set of images, especially with the planets so low. Personally, I would take considerably longer sequences, even in the case of Jupiter, you can run the camera for 2 minutes, and let the stacking program deal with the rotation.

Agree.  I was in a bit of a rush.  Had other things going on.

Nice photos, especially Saturn.

I finally got a reasonable look at Mars in bad seeing. I saw similar features to your photo, but not quite as clear. It appears the global dust storm has subsided. 

The seeing here in Colorado has been crappy for a month because of the wildfires all over the West.

Guest HowieG
3 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Thats a great Saturn.

Thanks.  Pretty good seeing that night.  Didn't mess with it much other than stacking.

Guest HowieG
1 hour ago, Jeff-Colorado said:

Nice photos, especially Saturn.

I finally got a reasonable look at Mars in bad seeing. I saw similar features to your photo, but not quite as clear. It appears the global dust storm has subsided. 

The seeing here in Colorado has been crappy for a month because of the wildfires all over the West.

Yeah, same smoke down here. Mostly California.  You would think they would be out of fuel by now.  Also, it was monsoon season here.  Been mostly cloudy/stormy all of July and most of August except for snatches of clear.  Plus the dust storm on Mars.  Not that you can see tons on Mars anyway.  I was pretty happy I got any surface features at all.

Archived