Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark skies really do make a difference

Hi guys. 2 weeks ago I went down the south coast in the attempt to capture something nice and low in the sky. I could only capture 6x600sec frames before that patch of the sky became cloudy. Thinking that 6 frames are nowhere near enough for a decent result I didn't even look at them, until today. Boy I was wrong, dark skies really make all the difference when it comes to imaging and here's the result.

Eq3 pro, qhy10 cooled at -15°C, 6x600sec.

Emil

1712172822_TrifidadnLagoon-Ps1-2.thumb.jpg.a917488f4e36704d7bbc1221d22d7515.jpg

Guest HowieG

That's real nice.  Just think what it would be like without the humidity somewhere not at sea level.  I've never really counted my blessings, but I have it good.  My back yard is at 4900 feet.  Humidity usually runs 20% or so.  I've never, ever, used dew strips/heaters/shields/etc.  Population is low and dark skies are literally everywhere.  I stand in awe of those of you that cope with the conditions you typically have and still manage to take such wonderful pictures.

Thank you guys. I guess that after a while you get used to it. Personally speaking I guess the light pollution is the worst thing I am fighting against. I live on the north-west outskirts of London and my E-SE-S and a bit of SW are absolutely horrible. But what can one do, go to darker sites as much as possible. I'm loving this hobby far too much to let it go just because of that. Narrowband is an option too but unfortunately not for me, not now at least.

Emil

I went to Morocco at the beginning of this year hoping to get some 'Dark Sky'. Ended up in a surfing village on the coast...6 years ago was pitch black. They now have street lighting and 2 great big lookout towers with lights on. Gutted. Next year, hopefully planning on getting further South into the Sahara Desert. Find a nice mountain range somewhere.

Shooting in the UK normally, I am planning on going Narrow Band soon as trying to find somewhere with even Bortle 3 is hard.

Nice image.

Guest HowieG
On 20/08/2018 at 09:39, Z3roCool said:

even Bortle 3 is hard.

Looks like you could do OK in North Scotland.  Pretty far, I guess, if you live in the London area.  Closer than N. Africa though.

Howie

Archived