NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece for wide field scope

Alien 13

I have been viewing the topic regarding a hand held wide field scope

and thinking of using my ZS 71 scope but it looks like the options might be quite limited for the following reasons.

I cannot get on with star diagonals so I will have to use a 90 degree correct image one like the 1.25 inch WO  which limits the use to 1.25 inch eyepieces unless someone knows of a 2 inch version that still might achieve focus with a long fl eyepiece?

The other issue is that I dont like long eye relief that causes you to hunt around trying to find a sweet spot, exit pupil size has also never been an issue with me having used rifle scopes and spotters that are in double figures. 

A quick look around has shown that a 32mm plossl and the ES 68 degree 24mm give around the same FOV but are there any others around using 1.25 inch barrels?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on eyepieces or 2 inch diagonals. The aim is to get the lowest magnification and widest FOV possible.

Alan

3 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

A quick look around has shown that a 32mm plossl and the ES 68 degree 24mm give around the same FOV but are there any others around using 1.25 inch barrels?

I've chosen the ES 26 mmf/62° LER eyepiece instead of the ES 24 mmf/68° for the Heritage 130 P Flextube, and it matches very well with it. The TFOV is the same as with the two mentioned above, but it weighs considerably less than the 24/68, and is less expensive. Despite a negative vote on a German forum I like this eyepiece; no "kidney beaning", a "calm" view - well suited as an overview eyepiece or for very extended objects (e.g. the Veil or NaN with UHC).

Stephan

8 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

I've chosen the ES 26 mmf/62° LER eyepiece instead of the ES 24 mmf/68° for the Heritage 130 P Flextube, and it matches very well with it. The TFOV is the same as with the two mentioned above, but it weighs considerably less than the 24/68, and is less expensive. Despite a negative vote on a German forum I like this eyepiece; no "kidney beaning", a "calm" view - well suited as an overview eyepiece or for very extended objects (e.g. the Veil or NaN with UHC).

Stephan

How well corrected is the 26/62°?

Archived