NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Accessories for 90mm F11 achro

The polarising filter is a good filter if you find the moon too bright. However, with a 90mm scope you might find you're always pushing for higher magnifications that are dim enough not to need filtering so it is probably best to wait and see if you need one.

The barlow might not be necessary. With an f11 scope the shortest focal length eyepieces you will need are readily available so the only use is to try to reduce the number of separate eyepieces in your collection. Whether you need this depends on what your plans are for eyepieces. I would be more inclined to buy a decent eyepiece rather than barlowing the basic eyepieces given away with the scope.

The Baader Orthos are good choices, but the Plossl from the range reportedly has a slightly reduced field of view so you might want to pick a 32mm Plossl from another brand.

Moon filters are a personal choice. I have never used one and don't think they are necessary.

The Barlow is not so necessary with a f11 scope, but depending what eyepieces you have already it may double up your eyepiece selection in a useful way.

32mm Baader - I assume you want it for widefield.  I have a 10mm from this series - it's a good eyepiece.

You need to understand how light pollution filters work (or worked). They were designed to combat streetlights that emitted in narrow emission lines, and are useless against the modern LED lighting that emits in a continuous spectrum.

Another tactic said to work is to use pass filters such as OIII to view nebulae, where they pass the emission lines from the nebula and block the rest.

I don't use either as I  (a) look at stuff visible from an urban area and (b) holiday in a dark skies area to look at faint fuzzy objects.

Archived