SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Veil Nebula - Update

Droogie 2001

Manage to add some O3 data to my previous Ha data captured from last year.

The Veil Nebula certainly contains a lot of O3 as the pre-processed sub was nearly as bright as the Ha. 
I seem to struggle with sharpening without introducing more noise, this is true with all of my images. 6 Hours is not especially long so maybe more subs is the answer?

Scope: William Optics Star 71
Mount: Celestron AVX
Camera: Moravian G2-8300 – Mono
Filters: Chroma Ha 3nm & Chroma O3 3nm

16x900s exposures (4 hours) at -25c
11x900s exposures (2 hours 15mins) at -25c
Total 6 hours 15 mins 
Flats & BIAS

Processed in PixInsight

1966415227_VeilNebula-Bi-Colour.thumb.png.c81a6bfd666f62657b4af316db1203c1.png

Excellent image.

22 hours ago, Droogie 2001 said:

I seem to struggle with sharpening without introducing more noise

If the nebula is bright enough, try deconvolution immediately after dbe in your workflow. This will sharpen the image a bit and tighten the stars. Use a luminance copy with STF applied as a mask. If done properly, this shouldn't increase the noise.

Thanks.

I have tried deconvolution in the past but found it offered me no visible benefits. Clearly I am missing something and will have another go at the deconvolution process.
When I look at other similar exposed images on similar equipment their images seem a lot sharper. My image above looks like it has lost a lot of detail until you click on it, I suppose that's the forums display method.

If anyone have any further tips on sharpening in a Pixinsight then much appreciated. 

Deconvolution is, and should be, very subtle. What it accomplishes in the linear phase, affects the outcome of processes in the non-linear phase, such as masked stretch,  HDR transformation or local histogram equalisation.

It should also only work on bright, low noise areas of the image. Otherwise it will boost noise. That's why you need either a fairly strong mask (easiest) or use the regularisation parameters.

At the very end of processing you can either use unsharp mask or MLT and apply a small positive bias to layers 2 - 4 (or 5).

Archived