Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to use bluetooth module

Hi all, I'm thinking about buying a synscan az goto mount for astrophotography of deep sky objects, the mount does not come with the synscan hand controller, ive been referenced to the BTDIR bluetooth module to plug into the mount and replace the hand controller, but what do I need to do on the laptop, software and drivers wise I want to keep it cheap as I'm new to this. Thanks

You will need Bluetooth om your laptop. The BTDIR will then need to be paired with the Bluetooth on the laptop and a note made of the comm port assigned to the BTDIR module. On the laptop you will need a planetarium programme (Stellarium / Cartes du Ciel) and either StellariumScope for Stellarium or the Ascom platform and the correct mount drivers for CdC. 

http://instein.eu/btdir.htm

39 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

You will need Bluetooth om your laptop. The BTDIR will then need to be paired with the Bluetooth on the laptop and a note made of the comm port assigned to the BTDIR module. On the laptop you will need a planetarium programme (Stellarium / Cartes du Ciel) and either StellariumScope for Stellarium or the Ascom platform and the correct mount drivers for CdC. 

http://instein.eu/btdir.htm

Ok, my laptop does have bluetooth and stellarium already, so all I need is the Ascom driver and I'm good?, ps thank you your your quick help and guidance throughout my ever-lasting journey.

44 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The AZ_Goto mount will limit you to short (30 secs) exposures.

I have a eq2 mount which i would use but I'm not sure about some certain things:

• If a motor drive will be accurate enough

• Precise polar alignment as it don't have a polar scope

• And object location 

Because of this I'm thinking about the az goto, however if you could restore some of my lost faith back in the eq2 I would be happy using that instead of the az goto.

14 minutes ago, Arran townsend said:

Ok, my laptop does have bluetooth and stellarium already, so all I need is the Ascom driver and I'm good?, ps thank you your your quick help and guidance throughout my ever-lasting journey.

You might also need StellariumScope to communicate between Stellarium and Ascom.

6 minutes ago, Arran townsend said:

I have a eq2 mount which i would use but I'm not sure about some certain things:

• If a motor drive will be accurate enough

• Precise polar alignment as it don't have a polar scope

• And object location 

Because of this I'm thinking about the az goto, however if you could restore some of my lost faith back in the eq2 I would be happy using that instead of the az goto.

You will probably be better off with the AZ_goto.

25 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

It depends on the type of BT module. I have used a bt-serial module to connect to the mount through the handset, but not directly.

I'd just be replacing a USB-serial module with a BT-serial one. Should work!

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:17, Arran townsend said:

Would any benefit my idea?

Without a Synscan handset the BTDir module would be better. This module can work as a bt connection to the handset (Pc-Direct mode), replacing the trailing cable between the pc and handset or replacing the handset completely (TTL mode)

Archived