Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Summer views with 102mm.

cotterless45

Always been an allure with 102 mm aperture. Just under f10 gives easy focussing and colourful viewing. The Vixen is around 30 years old , but sparklingly clear .

Saturn was good , but after waiting for Mars it was the same boiling mass. Sky was clear , darkish and steady . Noticing how bright Mu Cephei was by eye , put it in a wide view . Absolutely stunningly bright and colourful.

Slow tour of globulars M22 ,M2 IMG_6159.thumb.JPG.856a7da7f718ed5efb33ea428c6d39c6.JPGand M15 with some resolution. M22 was gorgeous, a bit of magnification giving contrast. The open cluster M11 ("wild duck") is a summer showpiece, now quite high and a must see.IMG_6158.thumb.JPG.ff94c3bd96f51fc6db021f3a9a4b53cc.JPG

Had a shot at 6 Cassiopeiae, nicely split , but took x267. Comet C21 Giocobini-Zinner showed up well in a lovely field. Seeing as it was in a comfortable position for sitting , I kept with Cassiopeia. The delicate star group of Σ 3037 set in a lovely wide field. Clusters abound here , the owlish NGC 457, NGC 663 , M52 and the wonderful condensed dusty NGC 7789 ("Caroline's rose").

Just a few targets to linger over before cloud poured in before 1am. More clear skies coming , hope that you can get out there , Nick.

Nice Nick. My 102mm "Old Vixen" was also out last night at a range of doubles including Lambda Ophiuchi which is a nice challenge for this aperture. Mars was better for me! Clear disk, shadowy markings and polar cap clear but still the dreaded dust. The 102mm f12 is my preferred scope for near-the-horizon viewing of planets, although it is barely convenient for objects higher in the sky.

Chris

Get another clear night will try the comet with the Tal, looking at your drawing I was in the right place just could not bring it out with the 8" even at X90.

Great drawings as usual I was going to look at Mars with the 8" but cloud rolled in.

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Nice Nick. My 102mm "Old Vixen" was also out last night at a range of doubles including Lambda Ophiuchi which is a nice challenge for this aperture. Mars was better for me! Clear disk, shadowy markings and polar cap clear but still the dreaded dust. The 102mm f12 is my preferred scope for near-the-horizon viewing of planets, although it is barely convenient for objects higher in the sky.

Chris

Have you not got a mount you can get an extension for like this one for Skywatchers,

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5heq5-extension-tube.html

18 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Have you not got a mount you can get an extension for like this one for Skywatchers,

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5heq5-extension-tube.html

I've got a taller mount (Vixen SP) which can extend to the height needed for such a long scope (but it is a little awkward compared to using a Cassegrain scope and a shorter tripod). An extension would be useful though for mounting the scope on the SW tripod which is much more stable than the Vixen aluminium one, but also quite a bit lower.

Chris

Archived