Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M103 Cluster with ST80

mark81

I was using binoculars most of last and as I got to the Clusters around Cassiopeia they all showed a little too faint.  Grabbed the ST80 and started off with M103 at x50 with an 8mm BST.  This is where the ST80 really shines.  Here's my sketch of that cluster.

M103.  ST80. 8mm BST.

Time, 00.12

m103 (2).png

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Did the sketching really make you focus and pull out more detail with what you were looking at?

Like the different weights on the cluster stars.

Yes. I do find sketching really makes you see the hidden depths of a cluster. Otherwise it's very easy to find a cluster have a quick look and move on to something else - and you really do miss out.

Mark,

Very good sketch of M103. Try to rotate cyclically,swirling the pencil(hard press/light press) depending how the star look like(brightness/size) and then used eraser shield very gentle (circle) to remove the imperfection.

This sketch i used A4 printer paper (white) black pencils (soft B 3B) - scanning and inverted the image to became black - computer photoshop just to +/- brightness-sharpness-contrast atc...

Regards 

Marios

1657096507_Messier103.thumb.png.fecb432214bbe3b69c5b7f17861b0148.png

Archived