Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar - Quark vs PST mod?

14 minutes ago, b16707 said:

Ive noticed that most people here are from the UK!

wouldnt i want a slower scope for more contrast with a quark? more towards the f30 range with the built in barlow?

The Quark has a built in 4,2 barlow. It will work with most refracs. The debate, whether you need an ERF filter is still open to debate. Daystar say "yes" on a refrac of 100mm+.

Most of use are still unconvinced. I have one on my Bresser 102. 

There is a thread  somewhere on SGL and it quotes the designer of the Quark as saying something like "It really doesnt matter what size refrac you use, you wont need an ERF".

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
On 26/07/2018 at 20:57, LukeSkywatcher said:

The Quark has a built in 4,2 barlow. It will work with most refracs. The debate, whether you need an ERF filter is still open to debate. Daystar say "yes" on a refrac of 100mm+.

Most of use are still unconvinced. I have one on my Bresser 102. 

There is a thread  somewhere on SGL and it quotes the designer of the Quark as saying something like "It really doesnt matter what size refrac you use, you wont need an ERF".

Hi

Can you post an image of the Bresser 102 + Quark setup - just to have an idea.
Maybe even some images taken with it?

It is about a year I have been 'hovering' around Solar part of astronomy and still undecided - due mainly to 'small pockets' !!

Thank you in advance
M

Just to throw a bit more into the debate.

A few weeks back I was seriously considering modding my PST.
I also looked at Quark and dedicated solar scopes.

The conclusions were:

PST mod means buying a donor refractor and ERF. I did not want the fuss of making it day/night configurable.

Quark. Use an existing refractor. But still need an ERF (advised by Quark).
Not as well known or got the history of Lunt & coronado.
Slow warm up & potentially slow adjustment.
Absence of recent good reviews. Also poor reports from a couple of years back.

Lunt or Coronado. They have the history.
Reports of 1st class support from Lunt.

Eventually I decided a Lunt 60mm scope was the way to go.
In UK skies the benefits of going for a bigger ojective (and therefore magnification) are dubious.
There are options on double stack, BF size and etalon tuning, depending the depth of your wallet.
I started looking on the used market and was about to get one about 120 miles away.
Then a scope with all the trimmings came up locally so I went for it and have given up on luxuries like food.

I hope this helps the debate rather than adds confusion.

David.

Archived