NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Control SW synscan az goto with pc

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a synscan az goto mount which dosent come with the controller, it's second hand and a reasonable price, I want to know if I can get a cable and plug it directly into the mou t and have my pc control it, I don't want to spend alot on controllers or special adaptors, I want to know if there's a program which could do the work of the handset.

4 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I refer you to your previous thread on the subject

The mount cannot be connected directly to the pc, bad things might happen if you do this. You need either a suitable interface (Bluetooth adapter, Synscan WiFi adapter or similar) or a suitably modified FTDI cable.

What is a modified FTDI cable?

18 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

An FDTI cable is a USB to TTL serial cable. One end has a USB plug and the other terminates in various ways (plug, bare wires etc). This end needs modifying by swapping the existing plug etc for a RJ12 plug which then plugs into the mount.

So I can use one of these fdti cables without needing a controller or other adapter?

2 hours ago, Helen said:

This thread might help ..... 

Helen

3 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

This one or similar would be the starting point. The small plug is removed an the wires crimped into a 6p6c RJ12 plug.

So I'm unable to get this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202361383756

1 hour ago, Arran townsend said:

No. That cable is for connecting a pc to a Synscan handset. The black cable is a serial-usb adapter and the grey one the cable that connects into the handset to update firmware or pc control of the mount. It is not a replacement for the handset.

Archived