Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bubble nebula

Forunke

The last two days offered pretty good weather so I started to collect data on the bubble nebula.

My scope gave me a bit of a hard time at first. Collimation seems to have gotten worse since I last used it so I had to do some on the fly adjustements which gladly turned out ok.

Image was shot with a ZWO ASI MC294 Pro Color through a Omegon Pro RC 203/1624.

No filters yet, planning on adding some Ha for luminance.

Image consists of 68 frames 300s each at unity gain settings, no darks, flats or bias yet.

Stacked in DSS processed in Photoshop.

71768745_BubbleNebula56h.thumb.jpg.b1dc8f8ee8ada014a82ecaa843c1cfe7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice bubble. If you calibrate with darks and flats, you'll get a much flatter background and will be able to stretch the image more. This will enable you to reveal the dusty background.

1 minute ago, MarsG76 said:

Cool bubble.... I'd say that if you allowed your black level to be a little higher, level of 15-20 out of 255, you might get a bit more nebulosity. 

I will be adding calibration frames to the data in order to bring out more of the nebulosity and do a proper processing of the data, this was just some quick and dirty work to figure out how a luminance layer works.

48 minutes ago, Forunke said:

I will be adding calibration frames to the data in order to bring out more of the nebulosity and do a proper processing of the data, this was just some quick and dirty work to figure out how a luminance layer works.

Great collection, thank for sharing, they look great.

Hi Forunke,

Out of curiosity, I examined your background and found what looks like a disturbing light source.  I looked for a bright nearby star, but Stellarium showed no such candidate. Maybe a street lamp ?

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.5053390f558966da915b2ffd743a9290.jpg

Ragnar

35 minutes ago, lux eterna said:

Hi Forunke,

Out of curiosity, I examined your background and found what looks like a disturbing light source.  I looked for a bright nearby star, but Stellarium showed no such candidate. Maybe a street lamp ?

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.5053390f558966da915b2ffd743a9290.jpg

Ragnar

This is most likely amp glow from the camera. Darks are needed to correct it.

6 hours ago, lux eterna said:

Hi Forunke,

Ragnar

I'm almost certain it comes from the camera itself cause no matter where in the sky I'm pointing it's always in the same spot.

At first I suspected my filter had a defect but on further inspection I found nothing.

as vimvb said, darks should fix it

Thank you guys for educating me, I had no idea amp glow could look like that. Having only dslr experience, I am surprised to see so much (and weird) amp glow from a cooled cmos camera.  My Nikon D7000 is also cmos type, and one single 10 min iso 400 exposure on Bubble Nebula looks like this with the same treatment (PS image/adjustments/equalize) :

_DSD0387.jpg.9ca35aeff0918791a4b0a605fcc6accc.jpg

Ragnar

Archived