Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime Venus anyone?

The is decent signpost to Venus today in the form of a 9% illuminated moon. If you can find the Moon, Venus is just under 10 degrees to the left.

The technique I use is to situate myself in suitable shady area, mostly to avoid any accidents with Sun/binoculars and also for comfort.

The Moon is around 35° away from the Sun so plenty of distance. Find the Moon and scan away from dark side of the Moon and fingers crossed you should see a shiny Gibbous disc.

Just had a quick look with my 15x70's, might have to try and grab an image when the Sun is a bit lower.

I wasn't able to have a go today but have done Venus in the daylight a few times recently but with no moon to jump off. I put my scope in the shade so there can be no sun mishaps, and as I don't use goto I pick a ground marker and sweep vertically up from it using the finder scope to search, then I move 5 degrees along and sweep up again and this usually does the trick quickly enough. With an eq mount I sweep across right ascension then change the declination a bit and sweep again. I've found my best views have been in daylight/twilight.

Seen it easily in 20 x 80 binos several times over the past week, doesn't matter how high the Sun is. It's unmissable really, when you know the general location. Also saw it naked eye with the Sun still above the horizon. Stunningly bright object!

Archived