Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Symbiotic variable star CH Cyg

I would like to bring your attention to some out of the ordinary drama ongoing these days in the skies :happy11:

The symbiotic variable star CH Cyg is undergoing some interesting variations. AAVSO has issued an alert on this:

July 3, 2018: The symbiotic variable CH Cyg is undergoing a fade that began on June 25. Multicolor photometry is requested; V and particularly B should take priority over Rc and Ic. Observations made two to three times a week are sufficient; time series observations are not needed. Visual observations are also requested and encouraged. Spectroscopy would be very welcome and appreciated. Coverage should continue throughout the observing season.

Interestingly, the star seems to have experienced some rebrightening in the last days. CH-Cyg_Screenshot.png.a9391fa8b577e3dd5a1ae84dbbc519db.png

CH Cyg is easy to find and observe. Catch a glimpse (and a magnitude estimate) of it next night!

I had a go tonight ( around about 11:45 BST) using my Megrez 90 and CCD camera with a V filter and took 20 readings of 5 sec exposure. Only 4 were accepted by Muniwin (I'll have another go to see why) which averaged out as mag 7.02

I will upload them to the BAA and AAVSO.

Dave

7 hours ago, Dave Smith said:

I had a go tonight ( around about 11:45 BST) using my Megrez 90 and CCD camera with a V filter and took 20 readings of 5 sec exposure. Only 4 were accepted by Muniwin (I'll have another go to see why) which averaged out as mag 7.02

I will upload them to the BAA and AAVSO.

Dave

Nice! It is indeed re-brightening after a magnitude deep.

Archived