Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

Paranoidsam

Opticron Adventurer 10x50 vs Olympus DPS1 10x50.

Posted (edited)

I have about £50 to spend on a binocular, and these two models have caught my attention.

Binocular Sky gave the Opticron Adventurer a really good review, describing it as "a stunningly good binocular for fifty quid." That's basically enough to sell it to me, but I notice the Olympus set has a lot of very positive customer reviews, plus it comes with a 25 year warranty...

Has anyone on here got any thoughts on or experience with either models? 

Thanks.

Opticron Adventurer 10x50

Olympus DPS1 10x50

Edited by Paranoidsam

Hi, I can only comment on the Olympus 10x50's which I really love - not sure how they compare to the Opitcron but from what I hear you cant get much more for your money if you chose the Olympus.  Really nice crisp clean views and a great size for daytime use too.  I do have a dark site here so I really do get the most out of them and I feel they are good enough for those quick short sessions when you don't want to use a scope.  Star clusters can be seen - not in any detail - but faint smudges can be fun. Andromeda also.  I also use them a lot for hunting objects down as I only have a red dot finder on my st80.

You wont be disappointed with these.

• Like 1

Both very good for the money; I've not actually compared them side by side (I tried the Oly several years before I tried the Opticron), but there won't be a lot in it and I doubt you'd be disappointed with either. Don't get caught in "paralysis by analysis" - just get one of them and start enjoying it. (But remember that they are both budget binoculars and prisms can get knocked out of alignment during transport factory > importer > distributor > you, so check the returns policy.)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Before I bought my 8x32 binoculars I had a lot of "paralysis by analysis", what solved it for me was a trip to a birding fair at Martin Mere in Lancashire. Had a chance to look through binoculars big and small and at all sorts of price points (£100 - £1500+). I know it would be overkill to do this for £50 bino's so as stated above just grab either one (toss a coin) and start to enjoy them.

Edited by Mr_Simnock
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have the DPS-1 and they behave far above the Budget Range suggests.
So much so that I feel I would need to spend hundreds of pounds for a small improvement.

As Steve says above, don't over analyse, buy either and get observing. 

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

Thanks guys... Very easy to get bogged down going over specs etc. Best to just put the money down and start using them.

• Like 1